I Forge Iron

RRT anvil advice?

Until I find a proper anvil here is what I have. I got it this way.

Three pieces welded together with angle iron feet. Each piece is just over 26" not including the point on the top piece. Total weight is about 170lbs. I can pick it up and move it but it is heavy. Not stable though. It rocks a bit on the angle iron. It's probably meant to sit on soil not flat concrete.

image.thumb.jpg.89027c8723ad403f79f3aa69

image.thumb.jpg.5974dafe01d8f21897114e57

What should I do with it?

I have started to reshape the point so it is more rounded and usable. 

I prefer the idea of the tie being vertical. Should I cut the pieces apart and mount them vertically? Weld them together into a single vertical piece? Most people seem to only use a single piece. I have seen a few interesting ones online just not as many as I expected.

Or just leave as is and use it until I find a better option?

2 hours ago, Glenn said:

Frosty suggests to nest 3 pieces of RR track together and weld. Stand it up on end and weld a thick top plate securely to all 3 pieces of track.enjoy a HEAVY anvil.

That is basically what I was thinking. If the main part of two tracks were welded to the the webbing of the third and butted up against the main part it would creat a solid core that is greater in size and very stable. The remaining webbing could then be modified into different uses such as hot cuts.

I would need to get the cutting and welding done by my neighbour. I am just starting to learn to weld and not up to that job. I like the idea though.

Randy,

Did you leave the webbing at that height or cut it down to be shorter than the face of your new anvil?

I'm not sure what experience my neighbour has with track, but he is a professional welder that works on all the big agricultural equipment around us, tractors and combines, to cultivators and harrows. He fixes what the farmers break. Also fabrication work like  20' trailers.

Lots of time and consumables to do something like that, lots of other ways to use rail as an anvil. 

One peice, with the end cut square and smoth, brake the edges and you have a small but serviceable anvil. To improve on it, cut a small peice off the head (the part that is up in use as a rail) and shape it into a horn and cut out a hardy hole. This can be double or single horned, say 9-12" weld this to the end of your "rail post anvil" 

You need to pre heat the rail to be welded, say 500f and use a high strength rod like a 7xxx. 

Small anvils can also be made of rail, a small peice of the head and web make reasonable facsimiles of Viking era anvils (a 3" square head with a spike carved from the web, or a slightly larger peice with a small horn carved out of it) 

honestly you have enugh rail to make a couple of servisable anvils, as well as stakes, swages and other tools. Rail is good medium high carbon manganise steel. The head can be sliced up into pieces (a 1"X1"x3" slice and you have a good blank for a handled tool like a small hammer) or the web or flange. The web is about 3/4" wile the flange tapers from 7/8 to a half. Lots of tool steel. don't get hooked on fabricating a heavy anvil from the rail, lots of $ there. 

http://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/42290-another-rail-road-iron-anvil/?page=1

Thank you Charles. I understand your warning to not get focused on making a larger anvil out of rail. I can see a lot of work going into it. My time is very valuable to me. If it is going to take me a week to build I would prefer to just buy an anvil. I enjoy the challenge of design and build projects but I only do them for the enjoyment. If I find a decent anvil for sale I will buy it before spending $100 and a week of time building.

I was just thinking that a single vertical piece with a well shaped head and horn would be good for me to get going and learn on, especially if I attach a piece of square tube as a hardy hole. I have found a couple of designs that look simple enough to make.

I hadn't thought about what I could make of this rail. Very good point. One piece for an anvil and the rest to turn into tools and practice projects. I need to do lots of practice before starting on tools but this would make good tools. Thank you for the ideas.

Anvilfire has a section on rail anvils and a few good ideas to get the mind perking. 

Tools are good practice.

Frosty is always wining that he left a great anvil in a sand bar in Alaska. He flames it was an axle from a peice of heavy equipment...

Don't atach a hardy hole, make a separate, stand alone one. 

I was thinking I could attach a hardy hole to the rail base so it would be built into the wood mount I will need to make. That way it is close to the anvil but not in the way. I've seen a few pictures with this setup. If I cut the webbing and base shorter than the anvil face I could have the height of the hardy tools match the height of the anvil face. Is there anything wrong with that?

Spring fullers wouldn't be as easy to do this way I guess...

But you have enugh rail to make 3-6 workstations, so one could have a hardy on the bottom side of the fladge for a spring hardy, wile another could be complely different. 

Just to give you an idea, TJWatts sliced off the flandge, and used the fact that it is sloped to his advantage to fully weld it to a block of A36 then heat treated it. Depending on who you talk to rail is 85-95 point carbon with a good bit of manganise thrown in. Makes good stock for tooling, nothing exotic with heat treat. 

Carnegie 1901 - That is the Maker & the Date of Manufacture - One Hundred and Fifteen Years Old!! I would surely want THAT piece in front of my eyes and under my hammer. A couple of years ago, I picked up a piece of  Carnegie 1906 60# at A & K in Stockton, California. Good luck with your project. I like what Charles Stevens said - Three to six work stations - I think I will try to to come back here with a photo.

See how a simple hairpin corrects for the curvature of the rail's web, putting a monster grip on this swage anvil I am building. The top piece goes in the same way. Even a large 'cheap' vise has plenty of guts for 'moderate' to 'small' hot or cold work. Imagine how much fun I will have after I have put in some bevels, notches, holes, and radii! (This is just an example of what one may do with an unmodified piece of rail).

20160125_132713.jpg

20160125_132357.jpg

I have started the process of shaping that ugly point into something more usable. Once that is done I'm thinking about cutting it off with a few inches of untouched rail behind it. Cut the web off and weld the top to a vertical section. Mass and form. It will need a little reinforcing to stabilize it but that I can do.

This can then be mounted to a wood base and stand to the appropriate height.

The stand could be made large enough to include a separate plate for a hardy and pritchel hole. I could also attach my post vise to it...

I love the bottom tool ideas using slices of rail. And the portable spike anvil. Way too easy to carry that around.

Welding is going to have to happen on at least one of these projects. That means heating it... Small sections will be easy enough but are there any suggestions for a 24" length? If I'm attaching a top to one end should I just hang the long section up above the forge and settle it into the fire? How about a propane torch? I have a big one. 2" wide flame. I have no idea how long it will take to heat to 500 degrees.

Same question applies to heat treating them. Is there a better way to heat them?

Anachronist, thank you for the info on the rail. Any idea as the the meaning of the ET IIIII after the date?

The five I's would signify the month of May (1901) and ET would be the place of manufacture (possibly Etna, Pennsylvania? Or Edgar Thompson?). If anyone is more familiar than I am with rail markings, please correct me.

Edited by Anachronist58
additional information found