I Forge Iron

Elephant

11 minutes ago, SpankySmith said:

Paint it Crimson and you could sell them faster than you could make them down here in 'Bama!  Roll Tide!

Ah. Nice. I picked up a bunch of coolant inlets that i used to make the head. most are more odd shaped unfortunately but i could make more. 

29 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Pretty darn cool elephant. I think it's darned marketable. Some sproingier spring legs and a mouse would make a pretty neat dances in a breeze piece.

I like, lots. Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks Frosty. Thats a darned good idea. I've been thinking of doing some outdoor pieces, even wind chimes.

My folks especially used to buy elephants for me. I had ONE fun experience with a few at a circus and my rep was established. I have a couple stamped sheet metal elephants intended to do "things" in breezes. Long spring legs, long spring trunk and large wind stopper body. The other has a propeller in the body that spins in the breeze. I've been tempted since I got it to put something on one blade so it'd bounce shimmy, giggle, ? in breezes but nope too far on the back burner.

A yard sculpture has a lot of possibilities. An elephant standing on hit's hind legs or maybe one leg mounted on a "kitchen table or chair" stand with a little mousy on the ground. Heck on a table a person could make it rotate like a wind vane. Hmmmm, could be a fun niche.

Frosty The Lucky.

I remember getting to "ride" one at the circus as a little kid. Lots of good ideas there Frosty. I'll have to play around as i get the time.

On that one just tape a nickel or quarter to one fin to experiment. It would only take a minute. 

How are you getting the mig welds to stick to that cast iron water neck, and water pump body?  You may want to braze, and paint those connections as the welds won't be very strong. If it gets dropped they may break loose.

When you make the next one try doing some of the welds on the backside, or in areas that you cannot see right away. I think you will like the looks better that way.

I like the overall look of it. It would be especially neat if it was made with 426 HEMI parts since they were nicknamed the elephant.

BigGun, So far i'm getting them to weld up pretty solid. I'll get some brazing rods and give it a shot or explore other options in the future. I wouldn't say it would hold up to falling on concrete or anything. funny enough i did accidently drop this guy on my wood floor, but he survived.  I have been working on hiding my welds on most pieces because it looks cleaner. somehow i wasn't as worried about it on this guy. I cant always explain my logic.

If i come across some HEMI parts I would be glad to make one out of them. I am a Mopar fan.^_^

7 hours ago, Daswulf said:

I remember getting to "ride" one at the circus as a little kid. Lots of good ideas there Frosty. I'll have to play around as i get the time.

On that one just tape a nickel or quarter to one fin to experiment. It would only take a minute. 

The fan blade is inside a wire cage you can't touch it with anything larger than a pencil. It's not unreachable I just never applied myself to the modification.

Frosty The Lucky.

I like the head swivel idea Das. Gives him a quizical look. My kangaroos all have swivel heads. A bit of forge work on the tusks I see. The bolt holes for the water pump head are fortuitously placed - makes him look a but sad and shy. 

I have used those pump parts too, and they seem to weld pretty well with the mig. Doesn't seem like cast to me.

Anyway, nice job and I like Frosty's comment about the mouse. 

I get what ya mean Frosty.

Thanks Ausfire. I dont know what it is but some cast seems to mig fine for me and others doesn't. I wouldn't be trying it on something structural, but for smaller sculptures it seems to work. I will give brazing a shot tho. 

It's neat when a sculpture can have a little expression or "life". I have had ideas for moving or mechanical sculptures before. I'll keep the Idea in the memory banks.