I Forge Iron

Home anvil hardness

It is highly unlikely that you have the equipment required to bring a 300 lb. block of steel up to a temperature that would allow for case harding to do anything and I am not sure that case hardening would even do anything positive for your block of steel in terms of improving it for use as an anvil.   I would just use it as is.  You might possibly look in to the feasibility of welding a higher carbon, tougher steel plate to the top...maybe something air hardening to make it easier to deal with.

I don't have much positive to say about semi drums for much of anything but stopping semis, fire pits and ground anchors. Where did you get the recipe you're using? It's got so much useless additions I don't know quite what to say.

Frosty The Lucky.

Where did you get your forge construction info from Ernie?

I'll guess it was not from reading the posts on this forum, had it been, you would have known not to use cement. You would have also known that when the likes of Frosty and the other learned members who have posted above tell you to omit the cement......you thank them for their insight and omit the cement!:D

And your snide comments are SO helpful.  I'm learning here bud so throttle it down a little

And my forge will be lined with 1 inch plus steel plates I got free as part of an old truck scale. These things are massive and should stand up to any heat I can make with coal and charcol.  If I get good enough may get a gas one. Years from now

Ernie, you asked a question, if you read what I posted, you will see, I answered it. I aslo provided you with additional information. I added a emoticon at the end of the post to convey a tongue in cheek reply.

I will however comply to your "throttle down" request......consider the throttle closed!

No harm no foul. Everything I have asked everyone has been super helpful. Found out about an old Amish smith close by that does training. Old skills are best when passed from the pros. Always glad to take the advise of the members who have all the experience.  Hope to pick your brain as well when I get up and running.