I Forge Iron

O1 Christmas gift

Buzzkill

I managed to get this in the mail just in time for it to arrive at its destination on Christmas Eve day.  It was supposed to be a Christmas gift for a 12 year old from his grandfather, but once it arrived grandpa decided to keep it and pass it down to him eventually.

This is my 5th completed knife, but there were a few KSO predecessors and I have half a dozen or so blades that need to be finished out.  I get more satisfaction out of designing and forging the blades than I do out of adding the furniture and finishing touches.  I think my wife may have some WIP pics if she didn't lose them when she switched phones.  If so I'll try to add those later.

O1GreenGold.jpg.611efc44363aafd6851ae742

The handle is California buckeye burl that has been dyed and stabilized. After shaping I hand sanded it to 1000 grit.  My wife tends to pick out the handle materials once we get the details.  In this case the requested colors were green and gold.

I haven't started making sheaths yet.  When I do I'll probably start with Kydex, but it doesn't seem like a good home for that blade imo.

2 hours ago, BIGGUNDOCTOR said:

Well, it isn't that easy to make one that looks great. I taught 11-17 year old Boy Scouts how to do leatherworking, but their first projects were far from beautiful :)  Check out the IFI of leather www.leatherworker.net they have info on Kydex as well as leather.

True, but I found it much easier to learn than Blacksmithing.  Just burnish the edges well, it will correct a lot.

I did a very small amount of leather work as a kid, but I think my sister was keeping Tandy in business for a while.  I may see if she's interested in getting back into hand-tooled leather.  Thanks for the ideas though.  Right now it's more of a matter of time than anything else.  Whenever I start to work on something it seems that someone I know can sense it and interrupt me about the time the forge is up to temp or I just about have my grinds right.  I'm sure that doesn't happen to anyone else.  :)