I Forge Iron

Rounding the edges

I have a nice Fisher that I got earlier this year and I find myself needin at least some kind of rounded edge on it. Right now the edges are pretty crisp and clean sharp edges. I want to know a safe way to give myself the rounded edges I see on almost every anvil. Can someone give me some suggestions? I'm more than a little apprehensive about takin any kind of power tools to it so I thought about usin files but wasn't sure how well that would work.

Greetings Michael,

Files not so much .. I have several anvils and have modified my main anvils edges to fit my needs.. If you are in doubt about changing the edges you could easily make s brick for your hardi hole with the radius you think you need.. I make several with hoops and a swedge to lock them down and they work quite well ..  A flap disc on a grinder is the way to go .. Take your time you only get one chance.. Just an old boys 2c.. 

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jm

image.jpeg

I vouch for Jim's advice, there is NO rush to modify your anvil, especially when you can experiment with models like pictured bottom tools. When you can let experience guide your decisions it's pretty . . . silly to make irreversible changes to critical equipment without experimenting.

It also gives you time to develop the skills necessary to do it with power tools, hand polishing hardened high carbon steel is caution overkill. I'm not faulting being conservative about these things it's an instinctive way of staying safe. When you don't know the road, go slow.

Frosty The Lucky.