I Forge Iron

air hole size

Ethan Stone

so i just got an old coal forge up and running, and i dont know what size holes the grate in the bottom needs. first i tried a really big holes about 1/4 inch, and then all the hot coals fell through and into the clinker breaker. then i tried small holes about 1/16 inch and that just keeps clogging. so i just wanted to so if any of people have had this problem you can help me out.

Thanks, Ethan.     

Good Morning, Ethan

You were correct with your first size, 1/4" to 3/8". There always will be some junk that falls through, keep dumping it out of the clinker breaker.

If you are using coal that is a lot of fines, mix the fines in water until you can make baseball size, mud balls. Don't poke or prod too much and you will have a nice fire. Enjoy the experimenting.

Neil

gallery_1_534_42715.jpg

For my brake drum with a 2 inch opening I use 1 piece of 3/8 bolt welded in place. For the 3 inch opening I use 2 pieces of 3/8 inch bolts. (one shown here before the other was welded in place)

gallery_1_534_13194.jpg

//with a 2=1/2 inch pipe, I have used 2 pieces of 1/4 inch round stock.

I have burned coal dust all these set ups.

I want LOTS of air going to the fire without any restrictions. You can control the amount of air to produce the heat you want from the fire. More air means a hotter fire but if you can not get enough air to the fire, you limit the amount of heat that can be produced.

Hey Ethan, are you trying to bait curmudgeons? You had a good question, got good answers and put them to work. That isn't going to get you on the curmudgeon's (idiot) list.

We do however enjoy snappy reparte and friendly jabbing. Do you want to play? We've been known to play. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

i was just kidding i should have been more specific. when i come to you asking me about the clinker breaker and such i dont know what you mean. when it comes to coal size i know some one who's giving it to me for free (they bought a farm and a random pile of coal on it), the sizes very a lot, most around the size of a soccer ball (or foot ball in other country's) and dont get smaller then a base ball. i generally break it down a lot. and frosty no i was not trying to bait the curmudgeons.

thanks, Ethan.   

S'okay Ethan learning the Jargon is part of the craft, we all had to learn it, still learning it.

Break your coal to acorn size and wet the fines to pack around the mound. You'll use much less coal, have much hotter fires and have better control.

No bait? You don't want to play? :(

Frosty The Lucky.