I Forge Iron

My new block anvil

Here was today's project - drawing inspiration from the floor based Japanese anvils. Still need to dress up the edges and harden the face, but the hard part is done. I took a 5"x5"x11" block of A2 (85lbs) and built this stand around it. I just wanted an extra anvil around the shop for teaching classes plus, a nice object lesson for anyone who visits the shop and brings up the inevitable "where to find an anvil" conversation. The primary point of this is that you don't need a horn or a heel to have something that's effective - and you don't need to spend an arm and a leg.. My total cost was around $105 for everything including the new box of screws I had to buy because I couldn't find the one at the shop. :)

J

20151201_165712.thumb.jpg.5033a8fb77c50d20151201_170331.thumb.jpg.6ba44d9355124d

That's pretty much what I have now, minus the stand. Thoughts have been a brewing in my head about an effective way to secure mine and I like your design. My plan was to make a sleeve out of angle iron to attach the legs to and apply a layer of clay on the bottom to deaden any bounce. What's the total weight of your setup?

I just cut the 4x4s to receive the 5x5 block and to keep it at the height I wanted. The anvil has about 0.1875" play all around and just shimmer snug with some scrap pine. If I had to guess on the weight I'd say it's about 150lbs total.

J

46 minutes ago, Bud in PA said:

I wish I would have seen that before I bought my anvil.

I had a choice today between a nice Hay Buden for $440 or a block of A2 for $85.. Had the cash in my pocket and chose to get creative and save a few dollars.. I've already got a Soderfors in the shop, a Fisher and a nice stake anvil.. This just seemed right to me. :)

J

Just a quick run of it this morning.. Seems to be working fine. This was just a scrap end of a san mai billet I had lying around the shop.. Drew it out from 4" to 6.5". My only complaint is that the stand tends to rotate slightly but that's easily fixed with an anchor bolt or two.

J

20151202_101755.thumb.jpg.9447a1c484f751

If I find a nice hunk of anvil like that I would love to copy that design. I think the only thing I'd do differently would be to drill the wood and use lag bolts. Just preference, nothing wrong with yours at all. 

I already have 2 anvils but one like that would be nice to work on for sure. Thank you for sharing. 

1 hour ago, MrDarkNebulah said:

I have a very similar anvil, except it is a cylinder. Any advice on a stand for it?

If you have access to a router and a large enough piece of timber you could trace the anvil on a piece of scrap, cut a circular hole, check for fit, and then use the router to remove a lip that fits your anvil almost perfectly into the timber. the same could be done by hand with a drill and chisels but it would be a long, tedious process with a lot of opportunity to accumulate error.

Nice job on the anvil stand, simplicity of design and functionally, spot on!

Jumbojak, I recessed by block anvils into tree stumps with the drill/chisel method, not as laborious as one may think. Provided you only go to a sufficient depth and no more, in my case 2" max, and they sit nice and snug. (and that eucalyptus stump I used is like bell metal once seasoned, I'll be using more for dishing stumps)