I Forge Iron

Please help me with anvil identity

My brother picked up his first anvil yesterday we are trying to figure out who made it  or an age if possible actually any info would be great.  All we know is that it came a out of an old blacksmith shop in Austria and it weighs about 520lb.

And help would be appreciatedIMG_4166.jpg.7da86cf5bc5ac828a6eac5b858eIMG_4167.jpg.838676938055268c6e04de1f2caIMG_4169.jpg.ebd6b6474c49cdd1757066619eb

IMG_4170.jpg

Its a beautiful anvil! But ive seen a few anvils...im no expert....but the base of the anvil is something like ive never seen, goodluck though.

Sorry for second post but if you do a little search on this forum theres an south german anvil that looks like this anvil, just go check it out.

There were quite a few companies that produced that style of anvil. Foundries would turn out several dozen sizes and shapes for local domestic use as well as export to other countries. Heck, Fisher in New Jersey made the Insonora pattern for the Central & South American market.

I do not recognize that particular logo, but it is a classic german pattern, with offshoots still being produced by Hofi, Haberman, Peddinghaus, Refflinghaus, and various Turkish and eastern European makers under other trade names.

Gorgeous anvil you have there. That must be a very[ rare beast in Canada. 

As said above it's a classic north German pattern. My own knowledge on German anvils is limited at best, as far as I can tell there were numerous makers in Germany but I have no idea how many. 

That mark doesn't look anything like the ones I've seen so far sadly. 

All the best 

Andy

• 5 months later...

The value is 12 quantloos; it is on Triskelion right?   Asking a value without a location is rather up for grabs.  As to maker is there any stamped in or cast proud markings? Does it have handling holes, if so how many and where? Is there an indentation on the bottom of it and if there is what is it's shape?

So far I'm leaning toward a Vulcan; what did the ball bearing test give?

Can we get a better picture?

It looks to have a casting line on the base, and I doubt that the face plate isn't that thick, almost looks like an ASO. Do the ball bearing test.

Littleblacksmith