I Forge Iron

And the rains have come

ianinsa

I don't know if many of you know , but we have been suffering a heat wave and a bit of a drought! However last week the rains came(and boy did they come) Any how I live in a conservancy area, one of the last few where the African bullfrog still survives , they burrow into the earth and await the rains the one emerged in my garden its "small" for its specie and is about 9" long.

Enjoy,

Incidentally on Friday a friend and I decided to "follow the rains Northward" so on Saturday morning we headed north thru Botswana and up into Zambia about 1700km overnighted in Livingston, Zambia and came home on Sunday! Long drive but saw in excess of 100 elephants on Saturday, I love Africa!

WIN_20151120_063610.JPG

WIN_20151120_145646.JPG

Sounds like a great road trip Ian. The only elephants I've seen are in zoos and circuses. Cool animals I felt for them they looked so bored and were getting flocked by visitors. I came back later with a bag of apples and left a friend. Really smart I'd sure hate to cross one's path in a bad mood.

Eat frog's legs?

Frosty The Lucky.

Exempt? Well, they ARE toads rather than frogs, I don't know of folk down south eating toads legs. At least they aren't the brightly colored ones that aren't safe to even touch let alone eat. Or do you have toxic amphibians? They guard their young eh, wow that's pretty advanced behavior for amphibians.

Is the elephant in the last pic giving you the evil eye or just tired of tourists?

Frosty The Lucky.

Great pics Ian. Storm season here too. With this build-up, Wet looks promising. I assume all those trucks in the photo are lined up waiting for floodwaters to recede?? Familiar sight here too.

Your country looks so similar to our plains west of where I am. No elephants though. Kangaroos and camels!

Awesome Ian. Thanks for sharing the pics. Love seeing different Beautiful countries and the different animal/ amphibian life haha. never saw a disclaimer sign like that here in the US lol

also, only thing ive ever seen blocking a road like that here are deer or turkeys and occasionally my guinea fowl haha, they are good for blocking a road.

Hi guys,

Das these pictures were taken in Botswana in the 'bush area ' and not in one of the parks , hunting prohibited none the less. There are foot and mouth disease control fences & gates.WIN_20151121_073725.pano 

Aus, that picture was taken at the top of Botswana where 4 countries have a common border point those trucks(turning left) were crossing into Zimbabwe, we were going straight on the pont to Zambia if you turn right you get to South West Africa.

WIN_20151120_141941.JPG

WIN_20151120_162853.JPG

WIN_20151120_181749.JPG

WIN_20151121_073743.JPG

That would a been a wild trip Ian clocking up a 1700km in the US is one thing But traveling through Africa that far would be interesting. My  father work in Dar es salaam for about six years.I have driven up to Kenya and back:D

Bg, that tune was in our heads much of the trip.

Stan, it was 'interesting' as they say! 2 days and a total of 3400 km and we only hit one goat(luckily I make strong Bullbars :)) far too many stray goats, cows and donkeys. In addition to the regular ant bears, eland, roan antelope, warthogs, buffaloes, baboons, monkeys, kudu, giraffe and Elephants that we saw. We also managed to avoid the numerous cyclists and pedestrians(many drunk beyond belief) near the villages and towns. At one point on Saturday we saw hordes of people heading off into the bush(thinking it was some religious thing we just drove past) when we returned on Sunday there were even larger numbers so we stopped to enquire " There is ice sent from heaven" was what they told us and everyone was taking containers of it home! It was hot 32c and sunny so we went to have a look. On/in the river was masses of hail that had obviously been washed there from upstream. The locals had never experienced hail so to them this was profound.

WIN_20151121_125127.JPG

A pleasure, I love Africa And its fun to share the pictures! Sadly the drought has forced many of the rural poor out . The beach picture is of 2 of my employees ( Zimbabweans) that I took for their first visit to the sea at a beach near our home in la Lucia, Durban

WIN_20151121_092727.thumb.JPG.0e94cf988bWIN_20151121_092658.thumb.JPG.1377550c27WIN_20140822_215352.thumb.JPG.15bcf7a667l

WIN_20151121_092855.JPG

WIN_20151120_181815.JPG

WIN_20151121_072406.pano

Edited by ianinsa