I Forge Iron

i started with the blade end first, maybe I didn't set the weld near the eye properly. To be honest I was just so frustrated with trying to hold onto the piece. I only have 2 sets of tongs currently and they're definitely not made for this.  Anyway I tried for about an hour trying to weld that back piece. Guess I'll just have to try again, I got lots more leaf spring left to work with

Coal or gas?  Steel type(s)?  Heavy drifting of the eye after the weld?  Flux?

If you are in coal, stuff the cutting edge thru the hot part of the fire and butt it into the side of the fire pot , the pot and cooler ashes just next to it will act as a heat sink and keep the cutting edge from burning.  Flip frequently.  Heat for longer than welding the edge because of extra mass and heat loss to either side of the weld. 

2 hours ago, Judson Yaggy said:

Coal or gas?  Steel type(s)?  Heavy drifting of the eye after the weld?  Flux?

If you are in coal, stuff the cutting edge thru the hot part of the fire and butt it into the side of the fire pot , the pot and cooler ashes just next to it will act as a heat sink and keep the cutting edge from burning.  Flip frequently.  Heat for longer than welding the edge because of extra mass and heat loss to either side of the weld. 

Coal forge, using grocery store borax as flux, and I didn't drift the hole, just wrapped it around a 1" round bar.

I tried makin a couple hawks usin the same method this weekend. I started on the eye side and worked down towards the bit. I got it just shy of sparkling and took my light crosspien (chipping hammer) and started with gentle taps and after it was decently stuck I'd hit it a little harder then a little harder. i pinched my eye between the edge of the anvil and the square head.Everything looked good till I started cleaning it up then I noticed I didn't get a full weld by the eye. My guess is I got a little scale in there before I fluxed it.

You can use a glut. If it's all leaf spring do like Thomas said and stick some mild in between. If it's mild with a high carbon bit use a mono steel hacksaw blade or similar as a glut in the area that don't weld well. Do like Judson said also on the placement in the coal fire. Keep the part your not welding out of the hotter part of the fire, using the sides and edges as a heat shield. Watch your heat and don't let it spring open.

I normally do my blade first (backwards I know). After wrapping. Then place the blade at the far side of the fire past the sweet spot and weld back. You may want to do it in reverse. Weld the eye area first then work up towards the blade area, inserting the bit when appropriate. Try using a lighter hammer when doing the initial weld also helps.

I highly recommend jim Austin's asymmetric axe DVD. I have watched it many times and learn something new every time, he has some tricks for getting a good eye weld. one in particular is upsetting the section in front of the eye before welding so that you have more material to work with.  also looking at your axe I would suggest making sure your joint has no gaps before welding, especially if you are using spring steel, because it will want to spring open after each hammer blow making it nearly impossible to get a good weld.  also you should make a dedicated drift for your axe and do not hammer it into the eye very aggressively, instead use it like a mandrel and hammer on the cheeks and poll to form and enlarge the eye, this will prevent opening your weld during that stage.  good luck axe making is fascinating!