I Forge Iron

Found a little something

SteveP1981

I found a vise tonight at one of the local antique stores. It's missing a couple pieces. The spring and the table mount is not there but for all intensive purposes it's in good shape and very usable. The jaws are 5" used but not destroyed and the leg isn't broken or bent. The screw looks as though it's brand spanking new.  I took a couple pics but can't get them to upload...... scrackets. EDIT, PICS WORK

received_10203931830374699.thumb.jpeg.c9received_10203931871895737.thumb.jpeg.04

Anyhow, what do you guys think for 30 bucks? 

Steve

Edited by SteveP1981

Yeah that's a bargain anywhere around here! I wouldn't blink. I just made a spring for one I have and will be making another for a post vise I'm trading to a friend. There are different style springs and mounts, but I could try to get pictures of the process on the one I will be making if it would help. That will be in the near future. 

If you can hunt down a spring shop( place that makes leaf springs and coil springs for vehicles) you can probably score the correct size stock that will make it easy. Then you'll need to make the mount plate which shouldn't be too difficult. I'm still working on mine when I get time and again I'll be making another one for another vise that I will try to get detailed pictures of the process and style I will be making. 

Great find!

It's officially mine, in the shop and im running the wire wheel on it now scrubbing off the walmart chrome... lol. The U shapped bracket is there just no mounting plate. thats not going to be a difficult thing to make its the spring that I question. I have a  bunch of leaf srpings from some small cars and trailers so i was hoping to be able to use one of those for the repair here. Gotta get the forge finished up first so that I have a way to heat and bend said srpring. I also bought a couple pair of tongs. one pair that im totally lost as to what they are for since I've not seen anything like them before but for 2 bucks I figured I couldnt go wrong and could just reshape the jaws if nothing else. Also found a pair of bolt tongs for a five spot that look like they were never used.

Steve