I Forge Iron

Making some parts for a post vice

Daswulf

Got a good start on making some parts for my big post vice yesterday. It was missing the mount and spring, the handle was way undersized and sloppy ( think it had been replaced before) and it had an old window weight welded on the leg making it sit way too high for a vice that size. A friend stopped over and helped me out wire wheeling and ideas, also supplied the leaf spring from a spring shop. We will be fixing another post vice I gave him.  

We got the start to the mount and forged out the spring to match the style on my other post vice. Cut off the window weight. Then I made the new handle. That was a new experience for me upsetting and forging the ball shape. My friend opted to drill a ball and weld em on but I just couldn't do it the easy way :)  We made a mount out of an axle planetary gear and die ground a large nut to mount on my other post vice to help shape the inner/ shaft side of the ball. The other end once through the screw was a challenge and the mount was sacrificed for that one. I feel it turned out pretty good and the rusty stock seems to match the rest of the vice which will get cleaned up a bit more once we finish the mount.  I'll keep you Posted on the rest of the mount making.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Cut the key pin holes last night. I'm sure it'll need some adjustment when I make the keyed pin and the tension pin for it.  Didn't get to too much else yet. But my friend sent me some other pictures he took. The 3rd pic is my complete vice that I'm styling it from. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Vaughn.

6 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

being thicker than the original one can  put the bind point in a different location on the screw which can be very helpful if you have a worn out screw...

The screw has a little wear, but should serve me the rest of my life and then some. But that Is good to keep in mind for one with a worn screw if i come across one with that issue and the price is too good to pass up, would be worth a try. Also i dont know how cost effective it would be but a friend with a mill had mentioned he could probably make a screw and box if it was really needed.

• 2 weeks later...