I Forge Iron

ausfire

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Das, you have motivated me to get something done with that weathered axle. I got it out of the scrap this afternoon and found a suitable base for it. A forged centre piece from an old miner's wheelbarrow wheel will suit nicely.

I chopped about 250mm off one end of the axle, as it was a bit long and cleaned up the other end a bit to see what we have to work with. An aggressive wire wheel takes the needle sharpness off some of those spikes so it's easier to handle. I'm going to keep the axle nut on the end. You can see where the axle started to taper from square to round to take the wheel hub.

I'm going to read back over all the previous suggestions of how to go about setting it up. I like the idea of using heavily weathered dog spikes as hooks, possibly with a collar to hide the welds. Thanks for the reminder. Got to make something happen now.

Here's the top end:

axle hat stand1.jpg

With that nut there, I'd use it as the foundation to weld the hooks.  It doesn't have any "character" so you're not losing anything by welding to it.  And it would be a sure sight easier to fix hooks to it rather than the uneven surface of the main shaft.

Another option would be to get a section of plain pipe that's large enough to fit over the shaft where it's tapered at.  Slice the pipe in half lengthwise and you can make it into a clamshell that you can weld your hooks directly to.  It can even be decorated with some punches and chisels to dress it up.  Because the shaft tapers, you don't have to worry about the clamshell slipping down.  One or two tack welds would keep the think from revolving and not take away from the overall look.

Thanks Vaughn. I have already set up four old rail spikes to weld directly to that nut as you have suggested. They will be the hat hooks. Further down the shaft I want to place a couple more as coat hooks. The cut pipe idea would work, but I have some highly weathered flat bar that would make a collar in character with the rest of the stand. I'll try a few different things.

I may also weld on a couple of rings lower down for umbrellas, and to add a bit of balance so it doesn't look too top heavy. 

So I welded on four old wrought iron heavily-weathered rail spikes for the coat hooks. Covered the welds with a collar made from a piece cut off an old harrow to match the pitted texture.

The camera has distorted the angles a bit and it looks a little rough in this photo. I'll take a better one when I add the other spikes to the top nut tomorrow.

Not sure about umbrella rings half way down. I would like to stay with the wrought spikes. Perhaps I could weld two together and make a circle in the forge.

hat stand 1.jpg

if it were mine I would not worrie about an umbrella ring.  Around here most people use collapsible umbrellas and leave them in the car under the seat.  Plus that center pole is to unique and I would rather accent it with the legs and feet.  For me more eye appealing 

7 hours ago, Daswulf said:

Aus, that's looking good. It all fits nicely with the axle. Are you going to draw the coat hook spikes out longer?

No, Das, I'm leaving the coat hooks pretty much as they are. I'll smooth the top off those spikes a little. I will have longer spikes on the top for the hats though. I'll put them on today and post another pic.

Matto, I was thinking an umbrella ring might balance out the heavy top end, but I guess I can do that with the base which is pretty substantial. Now you have me thinking whether I should use the wheelbarrow wheel for the base or give it some elegant legs.

And yes, it's a unique centre pole ... natural weathering produces wonderful textures. Some folks can't see that, you know.

I would go with something more elegant that will tie the coat spikes in to the base like a bigger more drawn out spike.  Something that will set off the center pole but tie the flow from top to bottom together   I also like the length of the coat hook spikes.  

Matto, so you're thinking maybe three spikes drawn out to 250mm or so, making like a tripod stand? Maybe a midline twist for decoration or just rough. 

If I go that way I might use steel spikes though, as those old wrought iron ones seem to be softer metal and might bend too easily with weight on them. Or maybe four legs to ease the burden? 

I like the idea of continuing the use of the spikes to tie in top and bottom. Thanks; I value your advice.

Ok, further to the development of the hat/coat stand. I have welded on the top rail spikes for the hats. Wondering if I should have drawn them out a bit first but they should be OK. So that's the top part done.

I have added a photo of the wheelbarrow wheel base I intended using, but now I think it might look a bit ordinary and Matto's idea of using drawn out spikes could be a better option.

hat stand3.jpg

hat stand2.jpg

hat stand 4.jpg

base.jpg

Aus I think the top spikes are just right. Not to short and not to long but longer than the coat spikes.  As for the wheel barrel wheel  not what I was expecting.  You could still use as part of the base and take some spikes like on top and draw them out some using the head as the feet and mounting the point about 6"to 8" above the bottom then out over the wheel barrel spokes.  Basicly adding angle brackets for support.

Matto, I get what you're saying.

I showed the good wife this morning and she said she likes the wheelbarrow centre as a base, but said it needed some support. She suggested I find some wrought iron round bar and forge a leaf on the end of each piece, attach them to the base and have the 'vines' twisted up the centre pole. She reckons it will be in keeping with the old look. I like the idea of using wrought, as it gives a nice texture, especially when bent. I haven't done many leaves with wrought but if I take it carefully, should be OK.

So I think I'll make that the plan and go forge some leaves.

I think what ever you do will be great.  It is hard to describe what is in your head sometimes so I m glad you could follow.  

I like the vine idea, I would call them roots instead and my thought is no leaves.  I think they may not look right with the rest of the piece.  To forged.  To me would look like filler or to much.  Just my take.  But I do like the thought of using wrought and wrapping around the center pole to the base.  Keep the simplicity and character of the old stock.  You want a good symmetry between base and top.  I think the leaves would brake that up.  But just my thought on it.

Well, I got stuck into it today and I'm reasonably happy with the finished hat/coat stand.

Cut some wrought iron rods from some old beds in the scrap heap to make the vines. It looked 'woodgrainy' but I did the half cut and bend test anyway. Forged some leaves on the ends. Not as easy as leaves from mild, but only one finished up in the rubbish bin. The stems like to crack and open up.

Attached the vines to the feet and wrapped around the centre pole. Wife says not enough leaves so I added a couple more. The idea was to make it look a bit like a rainforest vine (lots of that here) and the feet almost look like the buttresses of a big cedar. I had thoughts of sand blasting it, but it has a nice patina so I just put a clear rust preventive finish on it.

Anyway, it worked out quite well. I have a couple more of those weathered axles (not quite as gnarly as this one) so might do more. Maybe use matto's idea of twisted roots.

Here are a few pics:

wrought test.jpg

hat stand5.jpg

hat stand6.jpg

hat stand7.jpg

hat stand8.jpg

8 hours ago, stan said:

That's one of a kind Ausfire and even with your access to scrap items you probably won`t make another like it.

G'day Stan,

Well, perhaps not, but I dragged out a couple more axles today and I'm wondering what I could make out of one that has big knobbly hubs on each end. They look ugly in the picture but I think cleaned up the might be interesting. At first glance they looked a bit like Homer Simpson's head with those boogly eyes. The thing is mighty heavy so it would have to be a stand or something that didn't need to be moved.

Wife says how about a stand for holding hanging plants. That's a thought. I could make the root base as matto suggested and it would tie in nicely.

Here's a pic of the axle and a close up of its hub section:

axles to use1.jpg

axles to use 2.jpg