I Forge Iron

Champion 400 and Rivet forge

Josh Hoffman

$300 would be a very good price around here (like screamin deal) assuming the blower doesn't sound like it is full of rocks.

Question for the forge gurus--what was the original purpose of the extra tab and hole at the edge of the casting?  Lid of some sort?

it looks like a put together forge.  forge pan looks like a pump handle forge pan. the blower looks like the one i have on a pressed steel forge pan that had 402 taged on it.  great blower. legs look to be newer also with the rebar ring at the bottom.  price depends on where you are and how hard you want to look.  if everything is good it is getting harder to find good setus for under that. you can always offer less.

All of the value is pretty much in the blower. The forge pan can be made pretty inexpensively. As to value-it is what YOU are willing to pay. Is thais what you really want, or is it a compromise? Can you build what you want for a lot less?  Is this the only one you have seen for ???? Long?  You need to make the decision as to if you can afford that. That is way out of my price range for a rivet forge, even with the 400 blower. But since you failed to mention where you live we can't let your u know how it is for your area. 

If it was me I would still go see it, look it over,and test it out. Then chat the owner up some. I have gotten a lot of guys to drop way down once they knew their items were going to someone who was going to be using them,and not just getting resold. No matter what you do,  ALWAYS, have cash on hand . Benjamin Franklin seems to get people's attention. I see rivet forges with the smaller blowers - pump, and crank types- for $100 out my way. Again, for me the value with the above is in the blower. Many find the rivet forges a little too small to work with.

It appears to me from my research and collection of forges, you have a Frankenstine unit. One made from two different forges in your case. That is what it appears. I am no expert. The blower and frame is quite obviously the Champion 401 forge w/400 blower. The fire pot and leg assy is from another model Champion, unless............................ they changed it up at some point. 

I picked it up from the guy for $220. He was happy with letting it go for that, and so was I.  We'll see how she works soon!
The blower works great as far as I can tell. Just a little push on the handle and she spins a few times around before stopping.

I'll get some more/better pics up also so you guys can check her out.

Edited by Josh Hoffman

Here is the actual forge. It had been slightly modded by way of a tool rack, a false bottom, new twyer and a new larger shield. I have a removable insert I can add to this forge. It raises the bottom up about 4" and has a firepot (4" deep) The sides are thusly raise to retain the coal/coke. I use it either way.

my forge 4.JPG

my forge 2.JPG

• 2 years later...

Welcome Marc... Have you read this yet? It will help you get the best out of the forum. https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/53873-read-this-first/

Do you have any pictures of your forge? It would help with answers, along with where you are located. Those pans aren't hard to make. I saw one made out of a 55 gal. drum cut down.