I Forge Iron

blowers

Arbs of the North

Old hair dryer, old bath fan, fan from one of the power vent water heaters, shop vac, leaf blower. list goes on and on...

Soft coal doesn't need a ton of air, so just about anything that blows will work. Anthracite likes more air and a constant flow, you you want to tend towards a slightly bigger fan, but you don't have to go crazy.

Ok cool, I think I'll look for the bathroom fan then!

damn  i threw a power vent away recently, dumb.

if you have Harbor freight stores near you or order on line.

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-speed-portable-blower-61729.html

works very well and the description isn't accurate. the one I bought was variable speed with a rheostat and nice an quiet. a floor register duct reduced the rectangular exhaust opening down nicely. I think rated for 300 CFM at max

If your willing to part with around $65. The one I use works perfect for my coal brake rotor forge it's the dayton blower 1tdn6. I looked up my part# and it changed to this one ^.  As you seemed to be looking for a quiet one before it is super quiet and I run it off a variable speed switch I picked up at harbor freight. With the switch I rarely over 3/4 so its powerful enough. I have no need to run it on full.

Plus side is mine fits right in the screw flange on my 2" pipe so I don't even have to attach it with anything, it just fits right in there.  Simple. :) 

• 4 months later...