I Forge Iron

Shutting Down For The Year

Well I just finished the last two scroll base candleholders (gifts) and shut the shop down for the year. We'll be out of state visiting friends and relatives until after Christmas.

I swept up, moved the water fire extinguishers into the warm side of the shop, cleaned the forge and turned out the lights. When I come back I need to start making new Adirondak lawn chairs and a couple of other projects so smithing will have to wait a while. I'm also getting a new puppy (we've been without a dog for a year) so that'll keep me busy too.

Steve

Spending time in the shop during the holidays would be something to look forward to, if you were otherwise busy, but since I'm retired and can go out there nearly any day I don't mind leaving it to go visiting. That doesn't mean I'm not busy....I don't know how I got anything done when I was actually working. Besides the maintenence chores here on the "farm", I have several other "hobbies".

Mery Christmas

Steve

Yup...If I'm not going to be heating and using the shop I also protect my hammers, etc. The base of the anvils are just wiped down and now are uniformly black....the faces and horns are the only shiny parts.

Not everybody does this...I'm just nuts enough that I polish all the hammers and punches that hang on the anvil block. Xxxx, that does sound kind of wierd.

Steve

Since dryness is the problem out here I don't have many rust issues; but having soaked the heads of the hammers in linseed oil to keep the handles from drying out it does a good job of finishing the metal work too. I just wipe down the metal and give a swipe down the rest of the handle when I take them out of the soaking pan.

I used linseed oil on hammers and anvils to try to keep things from rusting. Linseed oil (boiled) forms an amber coating like paint when it drys in about 3 days. When the anvil is used again, the hot metal "burns" it off the working face of the anvil.

ATF (automatic transmission fluid) is easier to apply, seems to creep into all the hard to get to places and seems to protect against the rust as well as the linseed oil. A quick wipe with a cloth is all that is needed before the anvil is put back into use. There does not seem to be any problems such as smoke or transfer to the metal when the hot metal hits the anvil face.

Any rags that have been used for the application of either material should be disposed of properly as they can generate heat and self ignite. Always err on the side of safety.