I Forge Iron

Side blower Vs Bottom Blower Forges

scottyp74

Side blast forges are a bit more versitile as you can change the shape of the fire bowl, and they redily exept coal or charcoal (if the tuyeer is limited to about 3/4-1") they are also generaly easer and cheaper to build, being a box filled with dirt with a pipe sticking in the side (see Glenn's 55 sideblast BP)

Botom blasts tent to be more portable, but have a fixed fire bowl shape. They are a bit harder/ moore expensive to build and the grate keeping the fuel out of the tuyeer tends to clog with slag/klinker as it is in the bottom. Charcoal tends to be a bit finicky when used in a bottom blast, and you tend to go threw more of it. 

See Glenn's simple 55 forge BP. As this is about the least expensive way to go. Brake drumms and rotors work, but in my oppinion are more trouble and expense to build than they are worth. (2" pipe fittings cost coin) 

Chevy, i can hot rod a Chevy for the cost of repaires on a Ford, besides the ford house cant even diagnose and repair the tritons and powerstrokes anymore...

or to quote GM's CEO apon the introduction of the Cammero

When asked what a Camero was...

"A small vicius animal that eats mustanges...

Er, maybe I just violated the rules against politics and religion....

If you use the search function you'll find quite a few posts on this very subject on the forum. Or even search it in google and you will likely find a link to this forum too. :P 

I like both, I've built and used numerous versions of both designs and there isn't a huge amount of difference between the two. A good side blown forge is just as useful as a good bottom blown forge. 

As Charles says - a side blown is easier to make - all you need is a piece of pipe pointed into a container of fuel. 

Bottom blown forges are harder to make. You can get parts to build a brake drum forge at your local hardware store but to build something really good you need a welder and some fabrication skills. Being in the USA you have the added advantage of being able to buy one should you wish. 

Buying a new forge in the UK is prohibitively expensive for most. Ironic as we have anvils galore. 

I'd say build both and see which one you prefer in the long run. 

Andy

I don't do much solid fuel forging but when I was drilling I'd do a little smithing around the camp fire almost every night. A sideblast is FAR easier as a field expedient all you need is a fire and source of air. Below is a field expedient I set up to repair a log tong I bent clearing land for the house. The air is being supplied by a 12v Coleman Inflate all, a blower for filling air mattresses, rubber rafts, etc. the yellow thing between me and the pickup. It's blowing through a piece of junk pipe and would've made welding heat without trouble had I needed it. The fire is behind the little log to my right.

Frosty The Lucky.repairing_log_tong.thumb.JPG.3b40131411f

Could anyone tell me the Pros and Cons to both Side blower forges and Bottom blower forges. If that is what its called.

Yours is a simple question with a complicated answer.

There are a number of designs of each type to further complicate things. The side blast can have a sacrificial lump of tube for the tuyere or a solid cast iron one. It could be a cast iron water cooled tuyere with a permanently attached dedicated bosh (water tank) the water tank can be remote connected through steel or rubber pipe work and be cast iron or fabricated from steel or stainless steel pipes and end plates.

As for bottom blast forges there are at least as many variations using fire pots or flat plate gratings, and all fires can burn charcoal, coke or coal....then adjust all the combinations relative to size of work piece and scale of production.

There is a brilliant forum for blacksmiths called Iforgeiron.com where all the permutations have been debated many many times in the past...maybe do few searches and come back with a more specific question?

Alan

Edited by Alan Evans

I think Allen is bucking for a promotion! Lol. Informitive with a nice charmigion dig at the end!

Allen and Mac are kinda the go to guys for sideblast, tho Dave has some experties with US civel war era forges. 

Both electric and manual bed pumps work (double action) i use an older manual on my little play forge. If you need to go big look at the pool inflaters. 

I think Allen is bucking for a promotion! Lol. Informitive with a nice charmigion dig at the end!

Allen and Mac are kinda the go to guys for sideblast, tho Dave has some experties with US civel war era forges. 

Both electric and manual bed pumps work (double action) i use an older manual on my little play forge. If you need to go big look at the pool inflaters. 

Charles brings up one situation where a bottom blower is far superior and that's when you get a little dig at your end and it needs cooling. You don't have to keep turning around like you will using a side blower.  :P

Frosty The Lucky.

Edited by Frosty

I've been reading "Blacksmiths Craft" and it mentions in the first section that a side blast forge should have the blast pipe constantly cooled by a source tank to prevent damage to the tuyere. I do not believe the bottom draft forge has to contend with this as much as the heat is blown away from the tuyere. However you will have to combat clinkers and ash in the grate, so six in one hand half-dozen in the other?

I've been reading "Blacksmiths Craft" and it mentions in the first section that a side blast forge should have the blast pipe constantly cooled by a source tank to prevent damage to the tuyere. I do not believe the bottom draft forge has to contend with this as much as the heat is blown away from the tuyere. However you will have to combat clinkers and ash in the grate, so six in one hand half-dozen in the other?

Yes and no. The heat in a bottom blast fire pot rises so the pot never really gets "that" hot. I've forged using a cheap BBQ with no lining and the paint on the underside never even blistered. 

The tuyere in a side blast forge does NOT "NEED" to be cooled constantly using water. It just helps a fair amount. A simple pipe will work just fine for a side blast forge BUT the pipe will slowly burn up and wear away over a fairly long period of time. Depending on the thickness of the material and the material used this could be a matter of weeks or years depending on how often the forge is used. 

My current side blast forge has a very thick steel plate on the end of the pipe and should give me many years of use before I need to replace it. 

A water cooled tuyere will pretty much last a lifetime, as the material is cooled it will never get hot enough to burn up. It will get hot sure but not hot enough to burn away. 

The water tank you use is an issue. Effectively the bigger the better. I've heard of some folks piping the water from the bosh around their shop to keep it warm.

All the best 

Andy