I Forge Iron

Damascus .45

Hello folks , I know this is not the normal stuff that is posted often but, this piece was so beautiful I had to post er up  What do you think ?

The fellow who made it is a master blacksmith , gun maker , sword smith you name it and he can make it . He is a Hollywood type but, he is really good . and a super nice person

You may recognize his name ??     I have some more pics if some of you want to view them ?

Enjoy bubba

damascus 45.jpg

I like the second pistol's pattern better, though I'd almost feel honored to be shot with either.

I watched Jesse "learning" to smith at Uri's and seeing as he's been doing some darned precise work with iron for years learning to smith isn't like learning a new craft. Mostly it's a matter of just adjusting techniques to new materials and machines. Before the accident I was very in tune with the sounds, feel and condition of metals under the hammer. If you're paying attention you don't need to see the color to know when it's time to put steel back in the fire. Same for working brass, bronze, silver, copper, SS, etc. they all talk to you if you understand their language. I didn't  any of it at the anvil, I learned it at the spinning lathe starting as a toddler sitting behind the tail stock while Dad spun.

Anyway, my point being I wasn't surprised how fast Jesse picked up blacksmithing. If you can make a Pullmax dance to your tune, running a power hammer is just a different rhythm not a different craft. Nothing will teach you steel's song like working sheet in compound curves with hammers.

Then there's my opinion about certifications. I've known too many folk with certifications that couldn't do the job or even know a subject. I don't discount certs. but I want to see the qualifications in action. So, I'm pretty firmly in the "quality of the work is what counts" camp. Of course that's just me and I'm not someone who tests, awards, or strips certs. I could be wrong.

Frosty The Lucky.

Charlotte, I agree .    When I was in Japan a few months ago , I met some well known Japanese smiths . We were generally talking shop .

One of the swordsmiths (katana kaji) asked me how many Japanese blades I have made . I said around 300 in 40 years . He said you are already Master .

I am rated Jo Saku  By JSSJP.  All of my knowledge is empirical  , I learn by watching and listening . I don't believe you need to have a certificate to be very good.

Mr James is just a prodigy . A natural .  Frosty you are right on Target......  I don't think Masamune had a certificate but, he was part of the Gokaden...    Regards    James  

Very beautiful work.  How much of the parts building do you think  was done by CNC? It is still a great accomplishment using CNC if Jesse learned how to do the programming necessary. He has the money to buy all of the tools needed.

I have made a lot of Damascus (20 yrs. ago) and recently scratch built a semi auto pistol (.22lr) of my own design. Mine was made primarily with hand tools (barrel and mag were commercially made) and is uglyxxxxx I used steel but could have made it from Damascus. I am not a master nor a prodigy(not that anyone accused me  of such). It takes time and being stubborn helps.

Very beautiful work.  How much of the parts building do you think  was done by CNC? It is still a great accomplishment using CNC if Jesse learned how to do the programming necessary. He has the money to buy all of the tools needed.

That was my thought as well. It's simply a large forged Damascus billet that was then machined into a firearm. I would have guessed CNC machined as well.

I'm not knocking the final piece. It think it looks beautiful, and well beyond my meager basic machining skills, let alone my ability to forge a nice billet sizable enough to be useful for a project like this.

So that Mr Howard can shoot back?  

The American Bladesmith Society has a Master Smith certification program; but as they assumed that themselves I guess someone else could start up their own group and select titles for it as well. Bootstrapping a certification program is always challenging, I remember some of the discussion in the knife world when the ABS was starting up.