I Forge Iron

60 layer pattern welded sword (photo heavy)

kayakersteve

Another sword from my Union Forge.  I learn more each time.  This one is ~60 layers that I welded in my coal forge and drew out and patterned in my propane forge.  Has raindrop pattern. Specs:

2.2 pouds

24" cutting edge

32" overall

Hilt handle is black leather ove wood with two pins under leather.

Pommel is layered steel (1095 & 15n20) and hot peened plus one brass pin.

Handle is twisted pattern welded billet (1095 & 15n20)

Sword is made from 1084 & 15n20

Balance point 4 1/2" from gaurd

spacers are aluminum

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

The blade looks beautiful; the guard quite  nice; the grip and pommel are unworthy of the rest; perhaps complete the lobes on the lobed pommel and redo the grip to be a bit more ergonomic?

It reminds me of a blade I did about 20 years ago where I ran out of time to finish the hilting properly as someone had called the fire department on me and as I was talking to them my guard that was in the forge firepolishing the enamel melted and I was entering it in a contest the next day.  Re casting the guard and re-enamelling it ate the time for doing the grip and pommel correctly.

I love the blade and guard Steve but I have to agree with Thomas about the hilt and pommel, that blade deserves better. The pattern and contrast of the metals in the blade and pommel are right in my "highly desirous of" range.

Frosty The Lucky.

Big improvement and yeah the grip still needs work. Good thing leather can be changed so easily. Plain wood with a dark red stain might be nice.

I keep coming up with and discarding ideas to cap the hole in the pommel but a bit of color might be nice and balance the black and silver.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 4 weeks later...

The wood is definitely the best of the three versions.   Nice sword, I work in a hospital and when I saw the photo with you in scrubs I thought GEEZE, hope I don't see THAT walking down the hall at work one day!  YIKES!!  

Kitty's LOVE photobombing, it's what they do.  

Wow, that really makes a huge difference. It's beautiful now, and the pin in the side matching the one in the bottom of the pommel is perfect. Really, really nice looking sword. Makes me want to do one. :)

• 3 months later...