I Forge Iron

Work tables becoming magnetized

Why is it that when you clean off a work table it then becomes magnetic?

I spent a full day cleaning the junk off my work table to have room for a project. The project was completed and the work table somehow became magnetized. It attracted a spare 14 inch tire (donut), two decoration rims from around the headlights of a truck, a cat litter box (and cat by evidence in the litter box), and the list continues, including a small plow for laying out rows in a garden, and the neighbors light with broken glass, from his light post.

I am afraid that if I built another table, it would develop the same problem. Is there some way to de-magnetized a work table so as NOT to attract things?

If the table faces north south it can become magnetic ,same if there is a lot of welding done on it. you can try hitting it with a hammer "hard" or if you have a welder with long leads you can wrap 'em around and weld for a while if one direction don't work try another.Or the last option is heating it to nonmagnetic.Sorry

If you hook chains around a couple of the table legs and flip it over with a chain hoist, tractor etc the magnetic force will instantly disappear. Unfortunately as soon as the table is set upright again the magnetism returns.

Strangely enough this magnetic phenomenon occurs even in tables that are 100% wood or plastic.

i went through almost this entire thread thinking you were speaking of metal tables being actually magnetic. I was very confused and intruiged, and the whole flipping the table upside-down thing makes a lot of sense now.
so yeah, anyone anywhere near reality lately?
i blame the schools.
whew

You know, Glenn I believe you are correct. Because, every time I go to find one of my welding magnets, it's NOT on the tabe. That would mean that the poles of the table and the magnet are facing the same way, thus repelling one another. Which would explain why I can find everything else on the table except them. HMMMMM.......

I think we are all missing the real culprit here--the cat! Everyone knows cats will take over any space they so see fit, in any fashion they see fit.:P

Killers, I tell ya, bloodthirsty, scheming, workspace taking killers!;)

Tame the feline down, teach it to weld/forge/etc. then do us a blueprint on it!
That would be cool.:cool:

• 3 weeks later...

Well the problem persists, and in fact grows worse as I try to clean up the shop and organize like objects into groups. I have made use of 5 gallon plastic buckets to store pieces of stock BP0533 Stock Storage Ideas, and other buckets for items that can be grouped together.

During this sorting process, the work table has attracted all sorts of things to a depth of 3 feet or more, and approaches the appearance of one of the great pyramids. I can only guess that all the metal being rubbed together, in conjunction with the plastic buckets has generated some sort of static charge. Could it be that all the neighbors compasses are now pointing to my smithy, and that is somehow causing the problem?

Thank you for your assistance and suggestions.