I Forge Iron

Can you show me your dragons?

I'm about to start a project that will have a dragon head & neck.

I haven't been able to find much as far as dragon heads. a few videos on youtube, and a couple posts here and there that include a dragon head.

A little story on the project.

The dragon will be on the prow of a Viking longship fire pit grill that I'm going to make for a  friend. They, and I don't want a "nice" dragon on the prow, nor do we want it to look period to Vikings. but I'm afraid that may be the best I can do as this will be the first project of this type I'll be taking on.

Anyway, if you don't mind posting your dragons to help give me some inspiration as to the type of dragon I can try for it would be greatly appreciated.

Have you searched, "Forged Dragons?" I did and got so many hits I only scanned the first couple pages. This was the third one from the top. There were several how to's on the first page as well. This was just too easy, you're lucky we don't charge for doing the obvious for folk. ;)

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=AwrTceDuSaVV0xcAEr0nnIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTByNWU4cGh1BGNvbG8DZ3ExBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--?p=Forged+Dragon+Head&fr=yhs-mozilla-001&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-001

One thought for the long ship brazier, if it were a fish or fork tailed dragon you could place a spit between the dragon's horns and a shapely spot on the tail to BBQ roast tasty things.

Frosty The Lucky.

Edited by Frosty

I'll discuss the spit idea with my friends to see if they like the idea. As it stands, the oars will support the grill over the fire, and the mast will be removable for cooking on. It's not going to be lite. the main grill will be made out of 2"x3/8" flat stock that this friend gave me.

Thank you for the links. and yes, I had searched "forged dragons" but on google, not yahoo. Yahoo seems to have been far more productive.

That was weird, I have Google set as my default search engine, I guess Windoz looks for the one with the most hits or maybe what the IT in mother's basement likes or . . .

Using the oars as the legs is almost a given if there isn't another theme. I forgot the mast entirely, the spars could make nice roasting spits as well.

I like to stand rectangular bars on edge to make grills but 3/8" x 2" is way too deep for grill bars.

This sounds like a really nice project, I look forward to the pictures.

Frosty The Lucky.

why is it to deep?

I'm using what I have. I understand it's not idea, as it's big and heavy. But from my drawings I think it will turn out pretty nice. Now to find out if I can make reality look like my drawings.

What I meant was the grill itself wouldn't work as well with the bars being 2" deep. Then again I've never tried one with bars that deep. I surely could be wrong. What I prefer about rectangular grill bars on edge is they get hotter with more surface exposed to the fire, they make nice grill marks on the meat and don't cool off as fast. Grilled meat. mmmmmm

Did you do your drawings on graph paper? It REALLY makes scaling drawings to reality easier.

Frosty The Lucky.

ThorsHammer - You should check out Darryl Nelson's DVDs on animal heads.  I've got 2 and they will teach you all the techniques you need to know to make any type of animal head, read or otherwise... Are you a member f the NWBA?  If so you can check them out of the library.

Edited by billyO
library info

I've found 1/4" graph paper is easier to use, if I need more accuracy I draw larger and just scale it on the shop floor, table, bench, etc. I have old eyes though.

There are a couple tutorial spreads in that first search I linked that will show you the steps in order. Ditto Darryl Nelson DVDs and joining NWBA it's a great bunch of guys. Then again they're blacksmiths eh? Heck, you might catch Darryl demoing at a meeting. ;)

The Iron Menagerie has step by steps for critters of all kinds and once you're part way through it you'll be off and running. This is the first hit on a search. 

http://www.amazon.com/Iron-Menagerie-Guild-Metalsmiths/dp/1931626294

WOW, if our down under brother made a brazier we could roast whole steers! I loved that dragon the first time I saw it scrapartoz and it hasn't  diminished in it's attractiveness a bit.

Frosty The Lucky.

Edited by Frosty

That is awesome! what are the scales?

Very inspirational for another project these same friends want. But a bit out of scale for the current project.

You might take a cruise through the photo spreads Scrapartoz has posted. While cool the dragon is the barest  glimpse of his imagination and skills.

Frosty The Lucky.

The only Bill Epps Dragon I was able to find was one head he did. So far frosty's link to the yahoo images has been the best help for this current project.

In my earlier searching I saw one where someone made a dragon head RR spike knife with the dragon's head as the pummel of the knife. It was probably the most unique head I've seen so far in my searching. Most of the others have been the broad nosed "happy" dragons with the elongated lower jaw that really isn't the look I'm hoping for. I'm just going to have to keep searching I think.

If you want a frightening face take a look in Palaeontology books at the theropod carnosaurs. They typically had long relatively to very narrow skulls and jaws. Almost beak-like in fact.

In the past year or two I've been contemplating a dragon head with a fanged beak based on an eagle beak.

For the general steps, shoulder, draw out and split the horns without finishing. Then fold a short length back to form the mass for the head, the horn blanks will be pointing backwards now. Depending on the head/horn profile you want, fold it shoulder up OR down. A gentle weld won't hurt but, unless you want the jaws agape, isn't really necessary.

With the head mass made and isolated forge and carve as you wish: dragon, goat, sheep, cape buffalo, snake, etc. all start with the same thing. The only real difference between type is, with /without horns and horn length. IF you want to do it the easy way. Some folk will upset the head or draw the whole thing down from the head back. Carve out the horns, etc. Personal preference.

Before you start playing in the fire try to determine the steps you want to follow with modeling clay, it'll save you a LOT of time, fuel and steel.

Frosty The Lucky.

Edited by Frosty

How big does the head need to be?  For a cooking grill, I'm thinking the noggin would be at least a foot long just to keep to scale, but....

I'd start with a wire frame made from cold-bent 1/4" round stock to get the shape set.  Then fill it in with what you can.  I make dragon fangs from bar stock that would work for a head that size....

Vaughnt,

You're WAY out of scale. The starting piece will be a section of 2"x3/8" flat stock.

The plan is to forge the head/horns, and neck and draw it down as in the prow/keel of a ship. Think the mermaid or skeleton on a pirate ship, but really just the head and neck. It's a Viking long ship so no figure then spike sticking out to hold a sail. Just a figure to strike fear into the poor soul who sees it coming through the mist at them.

If you want a frightening face take a look in Palaeontology books at the theropod carnosaurs. They typically had long relatively to very narrow skulls and jaws. Almost beak-like in fact.

In the past year or two I've been contemplating a dragon head with a fanged beak based on an eagle beak.

For the general steps, shoulder, draw out and split the horns without finishing. Then fold a short length back to form the mass for the head, the horn blanks will be pointing backwards now. Depending on the head/horn profile you want, fold it shoulder up OR down. A gentle weld won't hurt but, unless you want the jaws agape, isn't really necessary.

With the head mass made and isolated forge and carve as you wish: dragon, goat, sheep, cape buffalo, snake, etc. all start with the same thing. The only real difference between type is, with /without horns and horn length. IF you want to do it the easy way. Some folk will upset the head or draw the whole thing down from the head back. Carve out the horns, etc. Personal preference.

Before you start playing in the fire try to determine the steps you want to follow with modeling clay, it'll save you a LOT of time, fuel and steel.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks Frosty.

I've already drawn out the steps I want to take to make the head. but first things first I've got to make some tools to do the job. I'm currently getting my Post vise, Post anvil, and RRT anvil stand built (should be done within the next two weeks. Once that's done it's onto some punches and a hot cut chisel. once those are done it will be time to attempt the dragon head. I may take several attempts before I come up with something I'm willing to share with the world though.