I Forge Iron

Advice on Touchmark

Hello. I have recently been going over some touchmark designs to use for myself and have one idea which I think might work and I will show it below. I just scribbled it on a piece of paper lol. This is as complex as I can do. Any advice or criticism is welcome. The ff is for Fehr Forgeworks, Fehr being my last name. The helmet design is based on my forst helmet I ever made, 2 years ago about and I have used it as a logo before, in school and such. Do you think I should include the ff? Will it work? Thanks and if this is in the wrong place then moderators, please move it or delete it if you see fit.

image.jpg

I'd go with out the helmet.  Remember, what looks good as a sketch on paper can really get sucky fast when you scale it down to something appropriately sized for a maker's mark.  

Also, you have to take into account the type of surface the stamp will be going on.  Nicely polished knife blades can show a lot of detail.  Rougher finished like you see on a lot of forged work.... well, the detail is lost in all the muck and mire of the surface.

The 2 F's are good.  Play around with different fonts to see what looks good.  Shrink the size down so you don't have something that would completely overwhelm a smaller piece.  Keep it simple and clean instead of gimmicky.  Professionalism is about the quality of the work and you don't want to get "typecast" as it were because people see your logo and think you're all about making armor and not candle stands or other household wares.

What they said. Keep it simple and non-gimmicky, a pro doesn't need gimmicks.

While you're playing with double Fs consider two font sizes and arranging them creatively. If done correctly you might be able to suggest a helm in a small enough touch mark. For an off the top thought. A slanted F resembles the visor and eye slit, so how about another F that starts at the bottom of the eye slit and extends above to represent a pennon or crest?

It's obviously a double F, however looked at a certain way suggests a helm. If you point the out resemblance the viewer's mind will fill in the bits to make it look like a helm.

Just a thought though, the more I reread my idea the less I like it. Nothing new there. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

think it's great. The Fs raised up a little bit look like a shoulder with pauldrons. It scales okay, as long as you don't want it super small.

ff.thumb.png.20269e1b2fb0e3de8b5cf21c5e7

Edited by neg
Clean up.

To give you an example of what you might run into with larger and more complicated designs, I just mailed out a small leaf-style blade to a fellow.  The whole thing was only 1.25" wide, at best, and was covered with hammer texture to give it that primitive look.  There was no place to put a large maker's mark and the uneven texture precluded using anything complicated or detailed.

On a blade that's not very big, even if it's polished to a mirror shine, a large maker's mark really detracts from the look of the piece.  I've seen folks that cover most of the cheek with their full name, the 'blade smith' title, and their city/state.  The idea is that they want people to be able to find them and buy knives from them.... but they do it at the expense of the appearance of their work, and limit themselves to just blades that are highly finished and large enough to fit their billboard mark.

I totally agree with you when it comes to blades. I only have my one touchmark, it has my logo and then my name under it. I love the way it looks, but on my blades I'd like to get one with just my name. On metal work other than blades though, I think the bigger and more elaborate the touchmark, the better.

You might consider rotating the helmet 90 degrease to the fromt and making it a bit more stylized. Just the minimum to be recognisable as a helm. The double "f"s are a problem, changing to gothic from ittalics/copper point helps but you will always have an issue.

Edited by Charles R. Stevens