I Forge Iron

Anvil Stand preference

Hi everyone, 

I was wandering what is your favorite kind of stands for your anvils. I know there is multiple choice out there and want to know what make it your favorite.

Big log, stomp, 3 legged, 4 legged, a little bit bury in the dirt, on top of the dirt, on top of concrete, hand made from construction  lumbers... etc etc... 

I'm not fixed right now on one to use for my anvil so that's why i want to know what you guys like.

Tripod from 3 leg stand is easier to make stable than a 4 leg, particularly if you are dragging it to different positions in your forge or if you fabricate it in a different area.  I like the ones with stacked hardwood in a framework that allow you to raise and lower the anvil face incrementally.  Like others I've used anvils of a variety of configurations on a range of stand types (stumps, cast concrete blocks, sand filled containers, steel legs with wooden supports...).  My current stand is an old stump set on a metal framework with small, solid steel wheels.  I got it when I bought the anvil, but it seems to hold up pretty well and not jump around (128 lb. Peter Wright).  Have to spend a bit of time and change the strapping method, as the stump cracking has loosened the stove bolts in the end grain, but any time I get in the shop I tend to want to smith rather than repair.

Search the site.  Lots of good stand designs pictured here.

I made mine, 4" laminated block, 1 1/2" angle frame with 1 1/2" thin wall square legs. This is a portible stand for my "truck" anvil as I'm a ferrier (moving anvils as opposed to horses do in your back) the feet are round plates off set to the outside and drilled to take wire tent stakes, large nailes of screws to secure it when I get wild and wooly. 

3 leggs do not rock on uneven serfaces, but are easer to upset, not normaly an issue, but this is why office charss have 5 legs. 

Most build theis out of 1" plate, and  heavy wall, bolted down and the legs filled with sand and oil. 

Edited by Charles R. Stevens

First reply forbidden, will try later. Great, It likes pics but not my ramblings.

The first stand is a spruce block with my Soderfors morticed and resting on a rubber pad. It rang brutally loudly on this one.

The second pic is my new steel tripod stand. The ring is damped to a clank and I can work without ear protection at demos. The hammer rack wedges between the anvil feet and stand to secure them both, there is a tong rack goes on the far side.

Steel tripods are my preference now. They're stable on any surface, lighter and more easily handled, I can work as close to the anvil as I need., etc.

Frosty The Lucky.

Sodorfors01.jpg

Anvil stand 01s.JPG

Edited by Frosty

Nice setup Frosty

Is there something between your tripod and the anvil? (wood, rubber...)

now that i see the feet of the tripod i understant that it won't tip over. This big flat plate will prevent some of this. Do you fix it in the floor with bolt when your in your shop?

I like my tripod as I can slide a 5 gallon bucket under it full of stuff when it travels, I got mine in an Iron in the Hat.  I added two wooden blocks cut curved to fit in on the sides of the anvil so I can lift them on and off easier.  I manage sound differently.

I like my wood constructed ones---a number of old oak boards from a junked horse trailer lined it up on an I beam, clamped them together with pipe clamps and drilled them in several places for utility pole all-thread to hold it together. (used a drill bit designed to drill cable runs in stud walls)

My solid wood ones are made from an old mine timber, I cut it in half and added heavy duty handles to the sides for 2 stands---most "authentic" looking stand. I also have another larger timber that will be buried for my 515# anvil stand. creosoted of course.

My main anvil is on an elm stump that goes about 18" into the ground, which is a sort of historical "golden standard" for anvil stumps. I like it a lot. It's certainly stable! Moving it of course is not an option. Practically speaking a steel tripod is something I have forged on in the past and found to be a very good solution, light and strong, though to look at nothing beats a good big wood stump.

Forbidden again but I've gotten a gripe like this to post and then "edit" to sneak past the great Forbidder!

Okay, posted the grip am in Edit now.

Nope, too much time has passed. they really need to get this platform out of BETA

3rd. try. didn't work, there's something about my reply it doesn't like. I think Glenn should give US the E-mail address of the clowns messing around developing this format.

I'll have to try something else. No wood under anvil, steel on steel. It sits on the floor, no anchor I need to be able to move it on the fly.

Frosty The Lucky.

Edited by Frosty

As seen in my avatar, there is a 250 lb PW sitting on top of a 300 lb block of concrete.  Works a treat for rebound and doesn't scoot around at all.  I've tried different things and like this setup the best for a permanent stand in the shop.  However, it's not very portable so not so good for demos and such...

As seen in my avatar, there is a 250 lb PW sitting on top of a 300 lb block of concrete.  Works a treat for rebound and doesn't scoot around at all.  I've tried different things and like this setup the best for a permanent stand in the shop.  However, it's not very portable so not so good for demos and such...

Not if you don't have a forklift is isn't. :blink:

Jim H. posted a nice spread of pics of his shop and I forgot to mention his anvil stand, it looks like a section of drum cast full of concrete. It may be filled with something else but it looks nice and solid. I doubt Jim would use something that doesn't work well.

Frosty The Lucky.

Here's my latest anvil stand courtesy of Randy McDaniel. 410lbs of concrete, 32" tall, 12 of which is in the ground. I added a new layer of concrete to anchor my anvil in place/level out the top. It's increased the performance of my little 150+lb anvil by about 50-60% vs the old log it was on. Really loving it. :)

-J

Anvilstand1.thumb.jpg.e182b5eacdc51a91c4anvilstand2.thumb.jpg.f153e29709cb32170a

I rely like the concrete post, did you put a metal mesh or some re bar in it to reinforce it? 

I agree that's it is a more permanent solution, how does it work for the sound ?

there's rebar inside, but as for the extent I can't say as Randy is the one who made it 35+ years ago.. but it's still working just fine. And I would definitely say it helps with the sound.

-J

A good wood stump, natural or assembled from lumber, is great.  Of course, if you can't get the thing to sit level, it makes the whole assembly a waste of time and material.  If you can bury one end in the ground, great.  If not, you need to make sure the bottom is wide enough that you don't run the risk of tipping the anvil over when working at it.

A tripod stand fab'd from steel tubing and the like is a lot more stable if you don't have a flat floor to work on.  Some say that they also allow you to stand closer to the anvil, but I've never had a problem standing close to any anvil.  As big as my belly is, there's only so close I can get!

For silencing the anvil's ring, nothing beats a good layer of silicone caulk between the anvil and the stand.  I used masonry adhesive because that's what I had on hand, but silicone caulk is just as good.