I Forge Iron

Katana i need advice

Matt.L

First of all sorry if this is the wrong place to put this new to this Forum.

Hello all i'm Matt i want to try and forge a Japanese style Katana sword. Instead of Folding method i would like to make this out of a more modern steel flat stock.

i was advised to start with 1075/1080 High Carbon Steel. I want to make my measurements and cut out the basic shape then take that to the forge etc.

I have a small brick propane forge that i built in my backyard so ill be doing the pass through method of heating it.

sorry for the long winded explanation but here is what i want to know.

1. Good website to order flat stock 1075/1080 steel.

2. Are there any good tutorials on this sort of thing.

thanks for the help.

You you should start with knives before you get to excited about sword making. If you read the various posts and stories under the various bladesmithing sub forums you'll have a much better idea what you need to know. My advice and the advice others will give is read and study and start small. Once you get proficient with smaller knives then you can consider moving on to bigger and better things.

Question: are you wanting it just for display, or are you planning to actually use it? If for display only, you can use mild steel which is easier to work and not worry with what will be very difficult heat treat for someone with no experience. My guess, is you were inspired to try by the "Forged in Fire" premier. The two finalists made it look almost easy, that was in part thanks to the video editors as well as their years of experience. They cut out a LOT of the work that went into it. And if you noticed, the one guy, even with years of experience had problems with his heat treat.

Buy the series of books by our own Jim Hrisoluas, and read them front to back. Then get on the blade forums, and read some more. This is NOT a beginner project. If someone makes it look easy it is because they have tons of experience from decades of practice.

Welcome aboard Matt, glad to have you. Put your general location in the header you might be pleasantly surprised how many of the IFI gang live within visiting distance.

Don't think we're trying to discourage you, what we're doing is giving you the best possible advice for successfully making swords. You really don't know enough to know what questions to ask. For instance you said you wanted to cut the stock to the general shape THEN forge it. There is no possible benefit to doing this to the steel, none.

Saying that is an attempt to keep you from setting yourself up for failure. Believe me it really sucks to have things fail and not know why. Our aim is to help you succeed.

Frosty The Lucky.