I Forge Iron

Coffee table to be topped with glass

Karn3

Karn, beautiful work. I know what you mean about getting it all level for glass. I once made a table for my daughter that the glass set down in a frame. I made the mistake of making the table then getting the glass. I had to take the table to a glass company and have it custon cut to fit the corners and irregular sides. $$$ Luckily I knew a guy that worked there. I will buy the glass first next time ;)

I like felt to cushion between steel and table top but whatever is chosen will have issues. It's a risk assessment issue. This is a table I made for the orthopedic surgeon who's done such a good job sawing my bones the only times I've broken a bone. First was a shattered left elbow and second was a shattered right ankle after the great white birch attack.

Dr. Duddy presented me with this piece of polished marble and asked for a side table for his office. The legs are cable twisted, the stretchers are mortice and tenon joined to the legs. The top steel that contacts the stone is flat strip stock welded to the legs for uniformity and the table top is cushioned on felt. This table sits in a corner in the waiting room between comfy chairs. The marble was given to him by another patient, the nurse said he was really pleased with what I'd done with it.

I didn't get a pic but there is a magazine shelf that rests on the stretchers. And no I didn't make more than token $ on this table. Dr. Duddy returned the 9 fragments and a handfull of rubble I'd made of my left arm and elbow to nearly 100% functioning and pain free. De Sawbones deserved a heck of a discount. ;)

Were I to do this again I'd see how a reverse twist with the stretcher mortices as center would look.

Frosty The Lucky.Wrought_table_02.thumb.jpg.c072c2a2ca420Wrought_table_03.thumb.jpg.a724d573e0dc7

Edited by Frosty

I once sent a glass topped table to an exhibition. On the trip the carriers managed to lose two of the three rubber sticks which sat in Ø1/4" holes. The work-around with materials to hand was a rolled up strip off a business card. The exhibition was Friedrichshaven in 1987. They are still in the table. Might help someone!

Alan

Edited by Alan Evans

Those silicone 'buttons' look well skdk. Semi knock down kit. What we use on hotel projects is a small hole drilled vertically into the metal and a small piece of "o'ring" rubber pushed into the hole after it has been "lubed" with cyanoacrilate (superglue) o'ring rubber is available in quite a few colours(for differing applications) you then trim the "plug" with a craft knife this also gives some "adjustment" too. 

• 4 weeks later...