I Forge Iron

Diamond backs iron works gas oven

Seth O

I am new to blacksmithing and i had my mind all set on a coal forge from Centaur forge. Now keep in mind i have no tools to build a forge of any king or else i would. I was doing some research on coal vs gas forges and i am reading that gas forge is the way to go. I read all the pros and cons and decided that a gas forge would be better suited for my area. So my question is what company makes good gas forges? I found one company called Diamond backs iron works. Here is the link at the one gas forge i am interested in http://www.diamondbackironworks.com/catalog/item/2754775/4071482.htm what do you guys think.

I'm sure some of out more experienced gas users will be able to give more answers but I know of NCTool and Chile forges. Both are supposed to be good. Why buy one though? If you've got basic tools you can build the body and then buy or build burners to suit. A good thing about building yourself is its not gonna cost $600 and if it ever breaks you know how to fix it.

Honestly, you can build a better propane forge for the same or less money.  It doesn't take any fancy tools to bend sheet metal and screw it together with self-tapping screws.  

While I agree that propane is a lot easier/faster/cheaper than running a coal forge (unless you live near a coal supplier), most commercially-made propane forges leave a lot to be desired.  They certainly work, but the drawbacks are there, too.

The number one problem I've seen with all of the commercial forges is the lack of insulation.  I'm currently running a Majestic forge and it's the absolute worst for insulation.  You can temper blades by leaving them sit on the top of the forge!

I definitely agree with buying a quality burner like the JF1, but the forge body can be put together for little more than the cost of the insulation.  Something to think about....

Do you have a hammer, saw and a knife or axe? A couple of pine palets (hard wood just dosnt want to come apart) and a bit of pipe and you can build a forge, at least a stand up one, a stick and you can dig a hole. Solid fuel forges are not as complicated as folks make them out to be. You don't need to drill steel, or weld steel or anything else. Once you have a working forge you can use it to build a nicer one, and so on. 

I'm with everybody else on this one I built a small Freon bottle has f. What ge with a single burner and I use it for most everything.  But I built a propane size one too for bigger  stuf. The reil  ez burner seems to be a simple as they get. If you have the money for a company made forge I'd go with nc tool or diamondback. They most expensive  thing I encountered  with the build was the ceramic#8  blanket. And there's a place I found that sells 2'by50'd  rolls for  100 buks. Its a clay pottery place here in asheville. Hope u decide on what works for you but a build is a good learning  experience and gives you the knowledge to know what  makes a forge work.

If you get down to issues, you can buy the tools you need for a lot less than $600. A hand drill, tin snips and pop rivet tool will build you a working forge for what, $35.00? A T burner is much easier to build if you have acces to a drill press but if you're good with a hand drill you don't need one. A couple drill bits and taps and that's  that tool list.

For a similar forge to the diamond, buy the burners and find a 0.50 cal ammo can. Make a couple few holes and pop rivet or screw on legs, line it and light it up.

If you're not up to that level shop work I haven't heard anything bad about Diamond forges though I think Chile forges have more positive testimony here on Iforge.

If you decide to build and need a hand give a shout. I don't think you can invent a problem that hasn't been solved by the IFI gang.

Frosty The Lucky.

Do a quick google search and you'll find hundreds of types of gas forges. Like frosty said you can use an ammo can, I read on here the other day about using a mailbox, you can use a pipe o like the first one I did I used a paint can. Any kind of sheet metal can be formed real actively easily and then you line it with insulation and then cover the insulation with a protective/reflective coating. 

Build one of frostys T burners and you'll be in business. If you ask him nicely I'm sure he'd be willing to help with educated questions you might have.

Edited by M Cochran

I think am going to try this gas forge build http://www.zoellerforge.com/simplegasforge.html   I might also try to find a extra large mailbox and run 2 or 3 Z burners or side arm burners. One question i have is do i measure the cubic inches With koawool already set in the forge or just the forge without anything in it? I would like to start out with this plan because it seems like something i can do. The only thing that would cost me the most money is a powerful drill. What kind of drills you guys use and what brand name?

I have one more question, am lol dumb question, what is the safest way to fire up a gas forge and the safest way to turn it off? Should i get a co2 and carbon monoxide detector? I will be running this outside.

You measure your volume after you line it. As far as a drill I have a 20v dewalt I use for most of what I do. I have an antique drill press for straight precise holes, don't know the name of it.

probably best way I know to light a gas forge is to light a small piece of crumpled paper and place in the forge and slowly apply gas. Make sure not to stand right in front of it when turnin on the gas, the pop might get you.

of your runnin it outside you should have plenty of fresh air so co shouldn't be a problem. I wouldn't think so anyway.

Volume is inside the forge, the walls and refractory don't count. A lit piece of crumpled paper, a propane soldering torch or a little oil torch like the shop teacher used in jr. and high school. I've been looking for one of the cotton ball on twisted wire torches like that. They look like the applicator in a can of PVC cement, etc. I may have to make one though. Till then I'm a little crumpled paper guy.

To shut it down, turn off the 1/4 turn ball valve then shut the tank valve. I know a lot of guys like to bleed the hose and regulator by shutting the tank valve and letting the gas burn through the burner. I'm not fond of the latter but that's probably early training when some yahoo in shop class thought that was the smart way to shut off the cutting torches. A backfire in an oxy acet torch is pretty scary. AND that's if you don't know what CAN happen.

Frosty The Lucky.

No, that isn't what I was talking about but a guy could sure turn it into one. What I was thinking of had a cap that fit over the can snuffing the flame. It wouldn't be too much trouble to come up with something that'd do.

One of these days I'd like to pick up a piezo electric igniter, I just have to find a BBQ with one at the dump. It IS the modern way to light things.

Frosty The Lucky.

Maybe so but the folk at Wally world get all excited if I do any scrounging there. I'll give a look see next time I'm there. I'm building a new forge and it'll be a good place for one.

Frosty The Lucky.