I Forge Iron

Potential Darwin award winner

Saw the link to this earlier today on the weather channel. I'm not sure if I'd call this guy xxxxxx or just stupid. I'm leaning towards stupid myself... I can't even begin to list all the safety things I see wrong with these.  Who in their right mind dumps molten alum in water wearing a short sleeve shirt, shorts and sneakers as PPE? At least in the 1st video he's showing himself in gloves and an apron with long pants.

also very lucky the way he stabbed the knife into the table top,  his hand could have been sliding down the handle, and down the blade edge.. they should not be in any gene pool. . nope.... and wearing sneakers  too?

Pouring aluminum in a pool is probably the safest thing I saw him do. Unless he and the girl already have on in the oven I'm pretty sure he isn't going to make much of a contribution (quantity wise that is) to the gene pool.

It's counter intuitive but pouring molten metal into a LOT of water is safer than just a bit of moisture. Water expands something like 600x at 1,100f but water has a much higher specific heat than al. This means a couple drops of water can turn into say a couple pints of steam but a couple gallons of water won't even boil adding a couple cups of molten al to it.

Now if they were to just dump the can of al on a piece of damp wood or a concrete floor things would get really exciting and Mr. stupid science project would find out how much protection his best gear was. I've had droplets of al go down my shirt and boy was I glad I was sweating. A shop class casting went wrong and I was standing by my flask waiting for a turn at the ladle.

Hey, a reply from Frosty The Lucky!!

typo of 450x corrected to 600x

I'm changing my handle as soon as I can figure out how. between the IFI upgrade and my recent system cleansing and upgrading I can't find where to write "anything" instead of "Newbie" under Rank. I think "Frosty The Stealthy" has a nice ring to it. Thanks Spanky.

Frosty The Lucky.

Oh Ian, you have NO idea how stealthy a bear can be just walking let alone sneaking. We were drilling some projects for the new village of Chenega. And I discovered why there are so many stories about guys taking a dump in the woods and having a bear walk right up to them. I heard something sniffing, looked to my right and could've reached out and touched a good sized black bear who was sniffing my pile of . . . of . . . nevermind. I grabbed a handful of leaves and sticks shouted HEY BEAR and threw it in his face.

Fortunately the bear ran off confirming it was a boar, not a sow. I was suddenly finished relieving myself, did the paper work pulled my pants up and walked back to the drill. I watched the bear run off and within maybe 10' I couldn't see it and it wasn't thick brush, just willow scrub. The only sound it made was a whuff when I surprised it and at a dead run it didn't make a sound.

I could dream of being as stealthy as a bear, there wouldn't be an unmolested sweet shop in Alaska.

Frosty the Lucky.

I was going to put up a new Avatar but now it says I can't. My head's spinning trying to figure some of these things out I have good luck an then bad. I'm running hot and cold I must be experiencing bipolar vortex? :):(

Frosty The Lucky.

"I really thought it would explode."  Best sign of the amount of thought going into this one.

Pouring into a pool relatively safe. Everything else........les just call him lucky for now. Of course, he may just not have posted videos of the catastrophic failures.

Thought about this thread yesterday, a local antique/crafts shop that rents booths to individual vendors posted some photos from a new vendor who pours molten aluminum down fire ant hills to get a very similar product to the original post here.  

IMG_0722 (1).JPG

There's Youtube and other online pics and videos of a group pouring molten al down an Army Ant hive in Africa. It took them something like a week to excavate the results. It's something like 30' tall and REALLY widely spread.

I don't recall how much al they melted but they had BIG post of it going in the video I looked at.

Maybe that'd get rid of those gophers?

Frosty The Lucky.

You obviously don't live any where that has fire ants. Those things are NASTY. In the US they are an invasive species, and most people I know who live in fire ant country do everything they can to kill them off. They swarm and are aggressive if disturbed and their stings are very painful and can be deadly to some.