I Forge Iron

Birds ruined my forging session

I tore a muscle in my upper back about 2 months ago (40 year olds should not be dunking basketballs) and was just feeling good enough to fire up the forge for the first time in a while.   My forge is out in the open so I keep it covered with a grill cover.  When I lifted up the cover there was a large birds nest right in the middle of the forge nestled in coal.  I was going to move it but then realized that there were 3 eggs and one hatchling looking up at me. I guess it is going to be a few more weeks before I get to forge again.  Its probably for the best anyway.  I wonder how long it takes birds to leave the nest? 

Well hey at least your the type to let nature takes its course.

I once refused to replace rotten and missing facial boards because there were nests. I told him for moral reasons I cant just board up baby birds to die alone from thirst or heat.Then he said well cant you just take them out. I said no it doesnt work like that and he wasnt very happy with me.

lost the job.

Edited by redd1981

During college I had birds build a nest under the hood of my car. They raised the babies while the car went to the grocery store, town, and to school each day for several hours while I was in class. Only concession I made was to park in the shade if I could. It was nice to see them leave the nest finally. I always wondered if Momma bird got used to the fact that the nest was gone and no where to be found for several hours.

I keep a lot of bird houses around, seems to keep them from getting creative with nesting places, but we have a persistent problem with wasps nesting pretty much anywhere they choose.  Mailboxes, doorways, BBQ grills and yes an attempt in my forge.  I think lighting the fire and incinerating the wasp nest pretty much took care of that particular attempt.  

I have one very nice birdhouse I built that attracts a Robins nest every single Spring....on the ROOF of the birdhouse.  Opening is too small for robins but they apparently like the location.

Nest in forge like this???  Last year, about the first part of May, I only had a piece of sheet metal covering my outside forge.  A mama wren built a nest over approx. a 2 day period when I was not forging.  I removed the nest and put up a barricade so she couldn't get in an opening.  About three weeks later, I uncovered the forge to find ANOTHER nest...this one right inside the firepot!  After that, I went out every day and checked for a new nest.  No new ones.  I later noticed she was building a nest in an old teapot we had hanging on our porch.  She raised three young ones that year from the teapot.

Wren nest 01.JPG

Wren nest 02.JPG

Edited by arkie

Hey Arkie, 

I wish I would have taken a picture of the nest but it looked almost the same as yours except for the one hatchling and eggs (and your forge is significantly nicer than mine :)).   The parents came back later in the day so I was afraid to disturb the nest again to try to get a good pic. I was probably pushing a little too hard to try to start forging again so quickly after the back is recovering so I am just considering it a sign to wait a few more weeks.  

Hey ianinsa

As long as I keep the jewelry pieces comes every once in a while the wife is completely supportive of the blacksmith shop that occupies our garage and carport :).  

Some morning doves a while back when I kept my forge in the backyard instead of the garage. 

​Here you go, Recipe a for BBQ'd squab. All you have to do is wait a bit since they decided to conveniently deliver themselves to the grill!

http://www.cooking.com/recipes-and-more/recipes/grilled-squab-with-garlic-and-ginger-recipe-4604.aspx#axzz3ZCP3VsjR

LOL :lol: