I Forge Iron

Todays Swapmeet find $50 Wilton Bullet?

b4utoo

Excellent bench vise score! AT the local serious hardware store one of those costs in the $1,200.00 range. WE have killer shipping costs here at AIH brings everything in by the barge load so their shipping is slightly lower. <sigh>

Remember though that's a bench vise and NOT designed for hammering on much harder than straightening 12p. nails. What Bigguns just said!  Hey I looked at the tie stamp this time, I'm learning!

Frosty the Lucky

Edited by Frosty

Just so you know, that 3" vise retails new from Grainger at $1,000. No, that is not a typo,     ten      C-notes.

Kinda makes those $50 - $200 leg vises look like a bargain, don't it?

​HUH!?!

umm HUH?

I just walked in from my lunch...kinda smacked me with that one....

So I shouldn't use it and wrap it in bubble wrap and hide in my closet I'm scared to use now!

Use it, it is just a vise. There are tons of them out there at inexpensive prices. I don't know anyone who would pay more than what you did for it, the demand just isn't high enough. 

Bigger companies pay what Graingers, and McMaster Carr charge. 

Edited by BIGGUNDOCTOR

Bolt/screw it to a solid corner of your bench so the jaws are over open space and use that baby. Wilton bullets are tough as nails industrial quality vises. You just don't want to take a sledge hammer to it. Don't worry about say bending 1/4" thick x 3/4" wide strip stock for tabs and such. Just don't take a sledge hammer to it.

I picked up a 6" one from a guy at work who was making the garage safe for his elderly father and was just giddy about it. that is a class A score use that baby in good health and joy,

Frosty the Lucky

Unlike most Machinists vises, this style Wilton is cast from ductile iron and has a fully enclosed screw= long life span. Good buy, you did well. 

Of course you shouldn't hammer on it with a big hammer, but it is pretty tough for a little guy. 

You did well, wilton vises are tough! I have a number of them I've acquired over the years as Frosty said mount it on a corner like the 4" in my pic and use it. They made them from 2" jaws up to 8" at least that is the range I have seen. I included a few pics, one has a 2" sitting on a 4". The other is one a 4" mounted to a movable base, I use it all the time for welding, fabrication and mechanic work, I can move it to a piece or whatever equipment I'm working on. If you ever see a 2" model pick it up if the price is right as they are kinda scarce. At work we have an old wilton that I belive has 8" jaws, it is massive beyond description, at least 250 to 300 lbs, I'd love to have it in my shop. By the way I haven't been on for a while, Glenn and crew great job with the new site format! Real easy to upload pics!

DSC00502.jpg

DSC00504.JPG

DSC00499.jpg

John McPherson , I have quite a few vises, and all of them are older USA made ones-Wilton, Columbia, Reed, etc... On that note, they are not rare, and I have bought most at machine shop auctions, fleamarkets,and garage sales for $25 or less. I usually get them in the 4" -5" range.  The only ones I paid more than that for was a couple of really big ones that I got the pair for $250. They are big enough that I had to take them apart to load them in my truck. 

Sometimes the secondary market isn't even close to the original retail price. Machinist tools for example. At the machine shop auctions I was paying $20 for $240 test indicators. The reason is , there are so many available. 

I mainly brought this up because it seems b4utoo is a beginner to all of this, and I don't want to see him spending where he doesn't need to, and to maximize his purchases. It is easy to go on a tool buying spree, but if you get something you can't use, or resell quick, is it worth the cheap price? 

Anvils are whole different story.  How many people have a vise, but no anvil? Vises are everywhere, with probably millions made over the decades.

Wilton has started to import some of there vices from China now and the quality is a couple of steps above HF IMHO.  They do still make some in the US, and you do pay dearly for them but I think they are worth it.  Before I became a educated blacksmith I was a dumb oilfield hand that would use a 4 pound hammer on a Wilton vice on a regular basis. I never had one snap but we did wear out the screw regularly.

Russell

You did well, wilton vises are tough! I have a number of them I've acquired over the years as Frosty said mount it on a corner like the 4" in my pic and use it. They made them from 2" jaws up to 8" at least that is the range I have seen. I included a few pics, one has a 2" sitting on a 4". The other is one a 4" mounted to a movable base, I use it all the time for welding, fabrication and mechanic work, I can move it to a piece or whatever equipment I'm working on. If you ever see a 2" model pick it up if the price is right as they are kinda scarce. At work we have an old wilton that I belive has 8" jaws, it is massive beyond description, at least 250 to 300 lbs, I'd love to have it in my shop. By the way I haven't been on for a while, Glenn and crew great job with the new site format! Real easy to upload pics!

DSC00502.jpg

DSC00504.JPG

DSC00499.jpg

​Cool! Thanks for the pics...I like the yellow one lol reminds me of bumblebee :)