I Forge Iron

Buying a new anvil?

Hi all,

I'm going to be looking for scrap to use as a temporary anvil tomorrow. In the event that I don't find any, what would be a good starting anvil to buy? I don't want to spend more than $300. I was thinking of buying the 44# anvil here, though I'm open to suggestions. The best I could find on Craiglist was a damaged (sloped face) 125# Peter Wright for $600.

Edit: I'd also be happy to buy a used one, I just don't want to spend several dozen hours to find one (just not worth it -- might as well buy new at that rate)

Edited by falsevacuum

I would like to buy a new truck, but I don't want to spend more than $3,000.00 - but Id settle for a used one if I can find one today, other wise I might as well buy a new one cause it's not worth my time to look for a deal. I rode a bicycle for a few years to work before I could afford a vehicle.

I feel your pain.

Join a local blacksmith group and go to a few meetings and get to know the members and they may have an extra you can buy or steer you in the direction of an anvil.

Edited by jeremy k

I would like to buy a new truck, but I don't want to spend more than $3,000.00 - but Id settle for a used one if I can find one today, other wise I might as well buy a new one cause it's not worth my time to look for a deal. I rode a bicycle for a few years to work before I could afford a vehicle.

I feel your pain.

Join a local blacksmith group and go to a few meetings and get to know the members and they may have an extra you can buy or steer you in the direction of an anvil.

​Can I join a blacksmith group without ever having blacksmithed before?

Would I be better off buying (new if I can't find used) steel for one and welding one together?

Edited by falsevacuum

Very often they have 'intro to blacksmithing' classes.  The Guild of Metalsmiths here in Minnesota has a great education program. We welcome anyone that has a desire to learn.  In fact the 'intro' class (or equivalent) is a requirement for more advanced classes.  I would think there are many local groups across the country similar to The Guild.

Good luck and enjoy the journey!

You need to take your time.  Since you don't have a lot of cash, if you rush it you will likely be throwing what you do have away.

Read these forums and figure out what you want.  I personally think on-line is the worst place to get an anvil.

I got my last one from the classifieds in the local weekly paper.  168# Peter Wright for $200.

He was only asking $150, but I had to give him more - I gotta sleep at night.  I still feel like I stole it!

Lots of anvils in barns just waiting for the yard sale. Many older folks just want to clear stuff out.

You do need to know what to look for - reading these forums can teach you that.

Totally join as many smithing orgs as you can reasonably belong to!  Local, state, regional, ABANA.  Every club I've ever heard of is thrilled to get new members regardless of experience (or lack thereof).  

New quality anvils run from $4 to $8 per # USD so if you find one for a lot less than that put on your skeptical hat.

44# is terribly small but since you only plan to work 1/4" 1003 steel on it it should work fine for you.  Can you help me choose a vehicle?  I won't tell you if it needs to cross water, carry tons of gravel or be a economical commuter but what should I get?  Without more details the answer to that particular anvil is Yes, NO!, Maybe?

As previously mentioned ABANA affiliate chapters are a great resource for beginners; smiths tend to be helpful; some even will lend equipment while you are working on getting your own. (I have an anvil and postvise out on loan right now)

Today I bought 380 pounds of steel chunks to use as anvils, almost all of them for other people who can't make the trip to that scrapyard.  Price was 20 cents a pound, same as the owner gets when he sells it to a bigger scrapper.

I feel your pain.

​ 

Very often they have 'intro to blacksmithing' classes.  The Guild of Metalsmiths here in Minnesota has a great education program. We welcome anyone that has a desire to learn.  In fact the 'intro' class (or equivalent) is a requirement for more advanced classes.  I would think there are many local groups across the country similar to The Guild.

Good luck and enjoy the journey!

Totally join as many smithing orgs as you can reasonably belong to!  Local, state, regional, ABANA.  Every club I've ever heard of is thrilled to get new members regardless of experience (or lack thereof).  

New quality anvils run from $4 to $8 per # USD so if you find one for a lot less than that put on your skeptical hat.

Thanks! The New England Blacksmiths group has a bi-annual meeting in May about an hour and a half away! I'm putting that in my calendar. It's cheap to join too -- I'll definitely do that! I still want to get into blacksmithing before that, so I'll have to come up with something. I found 70# Farrier's anvils in my price range here. I know they aren't ideal for general purpose blacksmithing, but it should be better than a cast iron anvil (or no anvil, if I can't find appropriate scrap)

Look me up at the NEB meet, I'll be there.  If you can wait to buy an anvil there WILL be plenty of good used anvils for sale in the tailgating area.  They will be available at a fairly wide range of prices so bring your cash and be ready to haggle.  For the price of a farriers anvil from Centaur you should be able to pick up a very nice 150# used anvil at the meet.  

We also set up a pretty sizable Green Coal (teaching) station so you can have some hands on time with pointers from experienced smiths.

Look me up at the NEB meet, I'll be there.  If you can wait to buy an anvil there WILL be plenty of good used anvils for sale in the tailgating area.  They will be available at a fairly wide range of prices so bring your cash and be ready to haggle.  For the price of a farriers anvil from Centaur you should be able to pick up a very nice 150# used anvil at the meet.  

We also set up a pretty sizable Green Coal (teaching) station so you can have some hands on time with pointers from experienced smiths.

​Fantastic! Thank you so much for the info! I want to get started on blacksmithing before May, so I'll get started on my cast iron anvil, learn a little, and screw it up just in time to buy a proper one at the meet. I'll contact you before I go!

Edited by falsevacuum