I Forge Iron

Small anvils am I missing something

Does it say in the add it's a 25lb. anvil? The 25 cast proud on the side in the picture could mean it's a 250lb. anvil which would make $408au. a pretty fair price. Or it could be a model #, foundry, . . . Hard to say not knowing.

Frosty The Lucky.

I have a 37 pounder that fits the bill for most of my work. I guess I could drive a very short distance to buy a 300 pounder for sale @ $900.00 but I ain't that intent on bragging about size. 37 lbs works for me.

I think it was $80-sum dollars new. US made cast steel.

This super price increase on Anvils and many other items of interest being talked about daily here and where ever 2 blacksmiths might meet is a good negative example of the Internet's effect.  10 yrs ago when you had anything for sale you advertised locally in a paper or shopping program on the radio, you had a few hundred people to see your ad with about 20 interested in it.  Today with the internet in seconds you have many thousands able to see it with a bigger possibility of Mr. Deep Pockets available to pay the long price.  This is not going away it will only get worse with the added possibility of having to deal with professional crooks when you show up to purchase after answering a "Cash only" ad.  Gives new meaning to Buyers Beware. 

I have a 37 pounder that fits the bill for most of my work. I guess I could drive a very short distance to buy a 300 pounder for sale @ $900.00 but I ain't that intent on bragging about size. 37 lbs works for me.

I think it was $80-sum dollars new. US made cast steel.

​Hi I was not meaning to be critical of small anvils. I was wondering if some prefer a small anvil to make particular forgings or if it suits knife making etc.The prices payed for the last couple of 25/28lbs anvil could have bought a 100# plus anvil even in Aust.

• 1 month later...

This one went for a record price,this anvil just sold on ebay for $331.61 including post,Weight 7pounds length 8inches! Its not even a nice looking thing.?whats that about 47.50 a pound.

d.jpg

Edited by stan

These prices are NOT driven by anvil users. Collectors drive anvil prices. 

​I think your right, just before that anvil this Kohlswa one sold for $299( 62lbs )and is a much better buy specially if your planning to use it .

$.jpg