I Forge Iron

Good beginner/practice projects for arc welding

I've looked several places for good projects to practice my arc welding but haven't found much im willing to try yet. Does anyone have suggestions for good projects, especially some that might be some kind of tooling for smithing or some other kind of useful project. I'm not looking for those suggestion like "get a piece of plate and run a bead down it." Thanks in advance.

Yard art is a good start.

You can forge different shapes of designs, make flowers, animal objects, BBQ accessories, make objects from horseshoes, make wind chimes, dinner bells (triangles), sundials, drink holders, snack tables, water hose holders, candle holders, plant hooks, garden tools, to name just a few.  Most can be tack welded or utilize short beads, therefore not a lot of welding experience is necessary (grinders clean up a lot of mistakes....;)).  Search google and yahoo images for ideas on things you might like to make.  Etsy and Pinterest have lots of things you might try.

I would be best if you can hone your smithing skills and do more forging than welding.  Have fun most of all.

Good learning projects are ones that don't support much weight or take much abuse. For instance welding up a hand railing would NOT be a good beginner's project, if someone say fell on the steps and grabbed it it might break and make for worse injuries. That's just a for instance.

What you want to do is make sure your welds aren't going to have to take much stress or be in a position someone might get hurt if a weld fails. I know that's the kind of thing you're asking, I'm just saying it out loud, an old fart's caution.

Here's one we used to do a lot of. Buy some 1/4" x 1" strap stock. Cut it into 1" lengths. You can grind a scarf or set them about 1/8" apart and weld them back together. Tack on one side, flatten while still hot and weld them on the other side. Once they're chipped put it in the vise with the weld a little more than 1/4" above the jaws, cover with a rag and hit it with a hammer. The rag is to prevent pieces flying as a safety precaution. When you can bend it over without it breaking you'll be on track. I did hundreds of these it was a shop class learn to weld thing. If we were in the dog house we had to cut out coupons with a hack saw and file the scarf bevels.

Frosty The Lucky.

I have an old stick welder someone gave me last year that runs 110 or 220 and I learned the basics on 110 now I'm on 220 and learning a few things I didn't know. I can wel 2 pieces of 3/8 plate together and can weld a piece of 1/4 to 2" square tubing with 1/8 thick walls. I can weld billets together for forge welding and can weld handles onto them as well with little trouble. Sometime I burn through the small stuff but I'm getting to where I don't do it much any more. Right now my rods are 6011 and I'm comfortable with them and what I can do with them. I'm just looking for a little more practice. 

Shop irritate and fixtures,such aswding benches, work benches, shelves andscroling jigs are a good place to branch out to. A forge table when your confident not to have it fall apart and scatter hot fuel and steel and such. Try moving on to 7018 or something similar that your rod sulked recommends for your welder, often you make a root pass with your 60xx rod to stick it to gether, especially if your weld prep is less than perfect, then get a clean, strong finish. As you know your 60xx rod spatters a bit, 70xx not so much.

If your at the point of doing Gorilla welds (strong and ugly) and you have a torch I would suggest a small BBQ pit. Lots of skill to develop trying to weld end caps on in the overhead position, if your cant make that work, and the pit is small enough you can stand it on end and weld it in flat.  lots to learn on fitting doors, hinges, and stacks. 

When your done with the first one someone will always take it off your hands so you will have room to do another one. 

And xxxx NEAR EVERYONE will have a suggestion on how you should have done it different! :angry:

Does your welder have a DC setting? If not you'll need to get one of the AC versions of the 70xx rods, I'd just tell you which one but can't remember. I've always had a DC capable welder so rarely encountered the AC 70xx rods. They're out there though, maybe just ask at the local welding supply.

Like Charles says E6011 is great down and dirty rod, if you can strike an spark it'll lay a good bead. Well it'll let YOU lay a good bead but it's fast freeze so it doesn't lay down and wet the edges for pretty and smooth beads.

Frosty The Lucky.

I've only ever run 200amps a few times besides running that hot will reduce your duty cycle and you'll find yourself taking frequent  breaks to let the machine cool down.

Tell the guy/gal at the welding supply you want to run a 7018 equivalent on an AC only welder, s/he'll fix you up. No problemo.

Frosty The Lucky.

Can someone suggest an idiot proof template for a blacksmiths helper I could weld up? I've seen bolt together kits and seen welded versions but no pattern to go by.

tomorrow after work if I have time im goin to weld up a water shut off tool usin some scrap I have and make a list of what all scrap I actually have.

arkie, I've read over you list a couple times and defintely will try a couple small yard tools in the next few days. I'll give them to my wife and see if she can break them (she has a way of breaking things I never knew could be broken lol).

Find something for a base it doesn't need to be really heavy but should be at least 18" across both ways. It can be round square, you can weld legs, a flat X, etc. It just needs to be wide enough to be reasonable stable and not be a trip hazard. Trip hazard is why I really dislike wheel rims for stand bases of most any kind.

Once you have a base you need a post (vertical member) and cross bar. I suggest welding the post to the base plate, move it a couple feet from your anvil and using a straight edge laid across the face mark the post. Now lay the post flat on a bench and lay whatever you're using for the cross bar across the post aligned with the mark. Remember the mark is level with the anvil face so cross it below the mark and mark the post again, THIS is your cut line. Cut the post and weld your cross bar on. Viola, welded blacksmith's helper!

Sorry, I just now reread your question. I'm afraid this isn't idiot proof, idiots are just too darned clever I gave up trying to fool them with simple decades ago.

Frosty The Lucky.

Edited by Frosty

Ok, I guess I was asking about something else. You just described a 'hired hand' lol and I was asking about the handy looking tool with the top and bottom interchangeable dies (cutters fullers etc.) im thinking about the stand too since I work alone and can't hold a top tool and a hammer and the work.

Ok, I guess I was asking about something else. You just described a 'hired hand' lol and I was asking about the handy looking tool with the top and bottom interchangeable dies (cutters fullers etc.) im thinking about the stand too since I work alone and can't hold a top tool and a hammer and the work.

​Sounds like you are looking for a guillotine tool.

Ayup that' a guillotine tool. I believe there are a number of plans posted here and lots of pictures. I believe a site search is in order. I know there are pictures of mine and several threads with guys building and using them,  various dies, ideas, tweaks, etc.

Frosty The Lucky.

Oh great some folk DO call them a helper! Now we're all confuseder than before.

So how many names do we use for guillotine tools?

I know of the: Smithin Magician and guillotine.

And the "Blacksmith's Helper".

Okay, that's 3 so far how many more out there? How about you guys down under? Ian in SA?

Frosty The Lucky.

Don't feel to bad Frosty, I manufacture a oil tool that hooks the packer to the tubing string. depending on what part of the world you live in and who gave you your training the bottom part of the tool could be called,

1. Stinger (Arrow, Weatherford/US)

2. Gudgeon (Guiberson/US)

3. Slick Joint ( Arrow, Weatherford, Guiberson/Canada)

4. Lug Nipple

5. Ear Nipple

6. Seal Nipple (Baker/US)

Russell

Wpearson, I saw the same graphics last night while looking. I think it was in a different magazine though. I actually found a few after frosty reminded me I was using the wrong name. I'm looking at making one with some features I've seen in several different ones I found last night. Features like bolt on front pieces over the dies and I'm thinking about putting a return spring and a couple other things. My notes are at the house and I'm not so I don't remember all I was thinking about.

i will probably do one of frostys helpers too just because I could always find a use for it and could definitely use the practice. 

Back to my original question, I did some looking and some of the welder manufactures have a few projects on their sites I'm gonna give a try. Things like a trailer dolly, which is nothing more than some square tubing welded together at a 45 with another piece at the point welded perpendicular for an axle. One of the uprights has a handle the other a trailer ball. I also saw an adjustable grill frame for open fire cooking that looked pretty easy.

now I'll have to find some non zinc coated fasteners to be able to weld.

thanks for the suggestions so far guys, looks like I have enough ideas now to last a couple months.

• 4 weeks later...

Build yourself a welding cart for your welder, filler metals, wire brushes, clamps, etc... They're excellent fab & welding projects. You could also build a bench grinder stand, a full weld table to put bench vises on and just to work on in general, you could build a hitch extension for the back of your truck so it an support longer pieces of material when you haul.... Have fun and post pix!

-Hillbilly

• 2 weeks later...

My first projects were a stand for my air tank charcoal forge, a propane forge and stand, a three legged stand for my anvil, a 2 foot by 2 foot fab table on wheels and a post vise stand. Definitely gorilla welds, but you gotta start somewhere.

Dale

I've welded up a variety of small blacksmithing tools for use in my hardy hole, Spring swages, bending forks,just to name a few. Welded up a stand for my vise, stand for my swage block, layout table, stock rack, welder cart, work support and so on.

As mentioned there are all sorts of yard art projects like drink holders, arbors, small gates, smokers or grills, fishing rod holders for  beach fishing, horse shoe art like coat racks, boot stands, wine racks, gate pulls, shelf supports,,,