I Forge Iron

Good beginner/practice projects for arc welding

Hi,

I wanted to open a thread for these but these pict fit here pretty good. I am a total dummy in welding. I've been begging people to teach me the very basics of SMAW welding but everyone answered: It's so simple just practice it. I got really frustrated and last Thursday I took my father-in-laws welder machine and a box of rods and got to it. I needed some dishing tools to use and very quickly so I tried to do it. For sure's sake first I tried to weld a 6mm rod to flat piece and after I couldn't break it off from the flat piece I moved to "real" projects.

Made these:

Big dishing tool from 160 mm pipe. Used it next day so succesful welding here :)

IMG_5973.thumb.JPG.10db7152fdd48e4615a92

Small dishing tool, still in one piece :)

IMG_5974.thumb.JPG.3a63424651e87e15a58eb

Bender anvil tool, failed on this one: broke on the first bend :(

IMG_5975.thumb.JPG.f8ae76920a1168673b77a

And this "corner shaper" anvil tool, I've no faith in this one, but it's still intact:

IMG_5979.thumb.JPG.430b4358bad6b131ce5ea

The last two has a 1" chanel shank welded to a piece of sheet metal and the business parts onto that.

No welding here, but this is just so pretty and useful. found in the scrapyard and grinded out the shank - I do have big faith in this one :)

IMG_5976.thumb.JPG.e4b2fdf2e46e7427107ab

Bests:

Gergely