I Forge Iron

Great big perkulator!

GottMitUns

One of my fellow church members that I do a lot of cooking with called me the other day and asked if I was up for a design and fab project for the church cook team. Of course I said sure!!!!, (oil field is real slow now).   The last time we got together on a project it took a forklift to move the chili pot that ended up being built.  Garland showed up with a 1 Qt. camp coffee pot and says "we need to scale this thing up."  then he points to the 10 gal. pot in the back of his truck and says,"I'm thinking that size."

Here are some pics of what came out.

IMG_1379.thumb.JPG.69ebc35c0f59bdda4be46

IMG_1380.thumb.JPG.6180197e4f233a24e2d4e

This is the top and siphon tube out of a 16 gal. keg that I use for a slack tub

IMG_1381.thumb.JPG.01b5d628c51bdb5a5a613

IMG_1382.thumb.JPG.aaa8d9f0f8e4642b0b9c0

A Bundt pan and pie plat from my local junk shop. No I didn't shoot the pie plate with a shotgun I put each hole in with a chipping hammer, woody the woodpecker style

IMG_1386.thumb.JPG.1fefaa988499705bc55e9

Clean tee shirt for a filter

IMG_1388.thumb.JPG.711f9e795076b789c61e4

Pyrex insulator so you can see it perk

IMG_1374.MOV

it will brew about 6 Gal. of coffee in about 15 minutes.

Russell

I LOVE it, a proper blacksmith solution, I dub thee PerkZilla! You can buy filters at a lab supply though fitting a bundt pan may take a little original thinking. We rigged a coffee maker in the soils lab with a new vacuum extractor than made as much as we wanted up to about 4gl. in seconds.

Another thought for containing the grounds is a fine screen in the -200 range ought to do it.

Fine job, I lift my coffee mug to you.

Frosty The Lucky.

Back in the old days when my Father used to work at  Bell Labs in Murray Hill  they once tried banning coffeemakers from the building and suddenly it seemed every lab had a mysterious set of glassware running a murky brow liquid from an erlenmeyer flask into beakers...caffeine will find a way!

That is one very clever percolation unit! when are you starting with the er.. copper one? :rolleyes:

​Are you talking about having a proper cup of coffee from a proper copper coffee pot? If you can't have a proper cup of coffee from a proper copper coffee pot just have tea.

From a fun folksy song we heard on the radio a couple years ago.

Frosty The Lucky.

I'm betting a tshirt will let through a lot more grounds than a proper paper filter would.  If memory serves there are such things as Cake Tin Liners, think cupcake paper but cake pan sized.  I might be tempted to experiment with those first.  Though of course if you're planning on using it for Easter you might not have time to track those down. 

Thin cotton muslin was the original, the U.S. Army mess manual (WWII) recommends a muslin bag to place coffe in before it went in the pot, they used one with a spicket. A imagine a trip to a fabric shop and a few minutes to cut out a disk like a paper percolator filter and zigzag the edges  will hook you up. I suggest hand washing, perfume detergent and fabrics softener... Ick

Edited by Charles R. Stevens

You can buy coffee in commercial Tea bag thingies. Lipton tea comes in 1gl. brewing bags and I've seen coffee at coffee shops in the same kind of bag.

Pan liners aren't permeable or cake will really stick.

Frosty The Lucky.

Edited by Frosty

Muslin sounds like a good idea.  I've actually used a cupcake liner in my single serve Braun cofee pot in a pinch, not perfect but it did the job.  

​Good to know. Running out of filters is never a good thing. I don't know how many times I'd want to wash one of my T shirts before using it as a coffee filter but . . .

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty, NOT WASHING the t-shirt might result in a more ''earthy'' taste:rolleyes:

I have at times , when needing to brew 'larger quantities '(army days) resorted to putting the grounds in a new piece of panty hose and that worked well.

Charles, blotter paper? That go with the quill and inkpot ? :D I thought that was sort of pre-Guttenberg :D 

Edited by ianinsa