I Forge Iron

Second hammer

will52100

Just finished this, my first attempt wasn't too bad, it's workable, but this came out a lot closer to what I had in mind.  I did put a touchmark on this one, just a simple letter stamp of my first name initial, to have a reference to which end had the larger drifted hole.  Got to make or get made a decent stamp for projects like this.  Other than punching the eye, did most of the work on my tire hammer with a set of fullering dies I made.  All in all took me rite about 5 hours, though I let it cool down a couple times while I made a quick spring fuller and a couple of stand offs for drifting, and had to fix the band saw while working on the handle.  Anyway, 1045 steel, head weights in at 2.5 pounds.

post-462-0-56705000-1423385404_thumb.jpg

post-462-0-42871400-1423385827_thumb.jpg

Looks good I'm sure that tire hammer helped a ton on fullering those cheeks the first rounding hammer I made out of 4140 I thought was not gona move, lol. It takes making one of these hammers to appreciate it like the owner does. Good luck on the next 5 pounder . Forging is like an addictive drug its just makes you wana do it more and more . FORGE ON