I Forge Iron

How to get coal out of everything...?

That would be a neat trick getting her to forge. She has expressed an interest in lost wax casting and hammering gold. She wants a small jewlers anvil and has told me no cast iron. She pays attention, and the pounding of any metal would be a nice start. You never know, I will tell her about you and your forging MarcyP. Might spark an interest, scroll work would be fun for her. Thanks for the tips all. Next time I will take my lil trailer, 90+ miles round trip is a long way for a single bag.

That would be a neat trick getting her to forge. She has expressed an interest in lost wax casting and hammering gold. She wants a small jewlers anvil and has told me no cast iron. She pays attention, and the pounding of any metal would be a nice start. You never know, I will tell her about you and your forging MarcyP. Might spark an interest, scroll work would be fun for her. Thanks for the tips all. Next time I will take my lil trailer, 90+ miles round trip is a long way for a single bag.

Thats a pretty good trip for coal we have about a 50 mile trip,might as well make it worth while. I need to stock up again we have been goin through it faster lately.

I want to get a smaller anvil in the 10# or so range for doing some more detailed work and for Marcy working on some small stock or copper/aluminum type work. Get your wife a small setup and some easier stock to work with and show her some of the possibilities I like workin with Marcy she just has a whole new perspective to stuff than I do.

Left me with this pile of coal mostly dust and sub 1/4" pieces sitting on my Wife's beige carpet. I cleaned it up best I could, tried to vacuum it to no avail. So today still got a nice large stain that looks like an old camp fire ring in the back of her rig. Daily daggers shoot from her unhappy eyes. It will likely be a while before she equates the smell of burning coal with any fond memories.

Just take the SUV right to the dealer and have the carpets replaced... LOL

It might pay to buy a cargo liner for the back. They save a lot of wear and tear on the carpets and are easy to clean.

That's really what she's torqued about is I took the cargo liner out to cover my anvil in the rain before we left home lol. She was on me about it too on the way home, asking if it was going to leak out in the back. I assured her it would be fine. I must have looked like Yosemite Sam and his sack of black powder leaking on my way out to the rig. She once suggested that I write a book about Gold Mining and title it "Not as I've done." Perhaps I should start taking notes on my good times learning to smith.

That's really what she's torqued about is I took the cargo liner out to cover my anvil in the rain before we left home lol. She was on me about it too on the way home, asking if it was going to leak out in the back. I assured her it would be fine.

Yes just tell her your anvil should be just fine and the cargo liner shouldn't leak on the anvil while you are away and get it wet... But thank her for being concerned about it.  :P  LOL

Not enough room for the frige, me and the IPad in the outhouse ;-) but the point is that some one is always willing to help you out here. How many and how much depends on you. Respect yourself and the fellow members by, as Glenn says "learn enough to be ignorant" then the heavy hitters will give you good advice, lots of it. It may be a talented amateur, a person making a living with a hammer and anvil, or some one that teaches this craft. But if you read some, hammer some and listen some we will help you. In turn you will help others. Even some of the crusty ol dogs

Not enough room for the frige, me and the IPad in the outhouse ;-) but the point is that some one is always willing to help you out here. How many and how much depends on you.

So are you saying you have a runner to go grab you a beer when you are ensconced on the porcelain throne? LOL