I Forge Iron

monster haybudden anvil

hey guys ,

I just bought a monster of a anvil today. the guy who sold it to me said his dad thought it was a 500lb anvil. but I heard a 500lb anvil had to be at least 36in long . the one I bought is 33in long. it is stamped A6037 and on the side it either reads 120 or 420 if its 420 im probally answering my own question. but was wondering if anyone can tell me what the weight and date of mfg is by the ser no. A6037 any help will be much appreciated. thank you

post-60777-0-99530100-1421023731_thumb.j

post-60777-0-59685600-1421023860_thumb.j

post-60777-0-10615300-1421023992_thumb.j

its not broken anywhere , no cracks I can put up more pics. but its still straped to my hand truck . it was a tough job getting it to roll through the guys yard to my trailer. I unloaded it when I came home and just posted to the forum. worn out but smiling. paid 600 feel pretty good about it. ive just never bought one bigger than 120lb and its hard for me to determine the weight. I really don't even know where to weight something this big. Im guessing its between 350 and 450lb . if its 450 I pretty sure I made a good deal if its around 350 maybe not . I usually sell 100lb for $300 never owned one this big.

the face is 5in wide marcusb .and thanks for the 1918 mfg date njanvilman. I appreciate that. its not cracked and looks like its all there. its still straped to the handtruck . leaning back a little in pics. its been sitting beside this guys fireplace . since 1960 so that was his story anyway.i think he was a pretty straight shooter. he also sold me 3 Columbian 4in vises for $20 ea. so im pretty happy about that.

post-60777-0-66355200-1421029830_thumb.j

post-60777-0-05753200-1421029960_thumb.j

post-60777-0-83298800-1421030080_thumb.j

post-60777-0-95732800-1421030191_thumb.j

Superbee, at the top of the "Anvils by Brand" category is a Hay Budden catalog from around the time period of your anvil. For a 400 pounder the face should be about 6" X 23". What does yours measure. It does look to be broken off at the pritchel and ground smooth. Still a very nice find, even with the damaged tail.

With no pritchel hole and the hardy hole that close to the end, the tail is definitely gone.  Still 100 % usable, just be careful with hardy tools and the amount of force you strike down with.  The hardy hole usually has a lot more mass around all sides of it.  Use it, but inspect it often to make sure that no cracking is starting.

HB's are stamped in pound weight; being that your anvil is missing part of it---that tail is way too fat for an HB so some of the HEEL is missing---it will probably be a bit less.

Note that a 12"x12"x12" block anvil weighs about 489 pounds  no 36" needed though yours was originally longer.

this one measures 5x33in jme1149 I appreciate the info. im gonna haul it to work this weekend and weigh it . ill let you know what it ends up weighing. im definitely a novice at buying anvils. but I find them and try to give them a good home and put em back to use. ive bought about 12 anvils in the past 3 years but ive never bought one over 120 lbs. I usually pay $1.00 to $1.50 a pound. and usually sale for $2 to $3 a pound. I just got carried away when I saw how big this one is. im a little upset knowing now that its not all there. I think I paid to much , lesson learned. thanks  to all you that have answered this blog. 

It's still a great big usable anvil with a decent face; there are folks out there wishing they owned it!

However it's not "stock" or "mint" and should have sold at a discount due to that.  But if you bought it to use yourself then get to hammering on it and forget the cost concentrate on having a GBA  (great big anvil) as those over 300# qualify!

Notownkid---Think of a damaged anvil as a used car: who determines the price for a used car that's been in an accident? You know that it doesn't sell for as much as a similar one that hasn't been in an accident. How do you know the price is less than an undamaged one? You know the market and expect to see a lower price *or* you negotiate a lower price due to the damage. What you don't do is pay full price for a damaged vehicle.

So yes the buyer needs to know the product and the market; if you don't know the product you often take along someone who does---I run all my vehicle purchases past my mechanic to make sure they are ok. If you don't know the market you research it; preferably locally. (A smart car in New Mexico is rather restricted to main roads, in New York City they are great as it makes parking easier. Anvils in Ohio are much easier to find than Anvils in New Mexico I've bought damaged anvils in both places and OH was much cheaper than NM and I was happy with the prices in both places.)

Blacksmithing equipment tends to suffer greatly from both buyers and sellers not being aware of the "market". Sellers often can't tell a cast iron ASO from a top of the line mint condition anvil and buyers will often take their word for things they shouldn't---a very inefficient market economically.

Blacksmiths tend to suffer from Anvil Envy with bigger == better; that HB is well worth owning and using!

Thomas
I was a new car dealer for 35 yrs. and as such was I in the used car business. Now used car dealers/salespersons have a terrible reputation some earned and some not. I will say this after that many years dealing with customers/public there is nothing that will bring out the dishonesty in people than one trading in a car. I've had just about every professional flat out lie when we already knew the story to the car, do it including a couple priests! This was long before the internet searches on vehicles.

The value of a used car was what I wanted for it allowing for the repairs we put into it, supposed book value which was an AVERAGE not a bible of value and market of that model. I would tell my sale people that Profit is not a 4 letter word.

Why do you figure the price the fellow was asking for the anvil was for an undamaged one? He wanted X for his anvil. The anvil like a used car is priced at X and either you can buy it for that make another offer or walk away. Your choice. Just like selling cars "there is a butt to fit every seat some you look harder for than others, same as the anvil there is a shop for it somewhere. there is no established values of an anvil, no used anvil Blue Book for values, so it is truly What the Market will
dictates.

Super says he usually buys 120 lb. anvils for $1 to $1.50 and sell for $2 to $3 a lb. He is experienced but not as much as he thought. Does this make him an Used Anvil Salesperson?

"Why do you figure the price the fellow was asking for the anvil was for an undamaged one?"

He said he was used to spending $1-$1.5 for regular anvils (which is dirt cheap for a good anvil these days) and that he spent too much for the big one. I would have paid $1 for it without blinking and I know it is down at the heel...

As he didn't know it had been shortened and paid more than his usual price I figured he was paying "undamaged price".

I've done my used car buying not involving dealers and so it was between two people who hopefully have done their homework and not necessarily trying to maximize any profit on the deal. Last time I did trade in a used car I told the dealer everything I knew to be wrong with it and he took it anyway even after I told him that while it started right up now it would take his best mechanic half an hour to start it in the morning...My previous pickup I had scrapped rather than let anyone try to run it.

lesson learned  im not mad about it . already got three people wanting it for $900. gonna sale it . and keep digging old ones out of barns and basements and selling to people who appreciate them and who will put them back to work, I appreciate all the responses. helping me understand more about anvils . I may not know much. but I know what is COOL. and anvils are definitely COOL.

yard sale king is out.

• 2 weeks later...