I Forge Iron

Cast iron skillet fire pot?

Jack-O-Lantern

I'm trying to build a new forge. The one I use now is HEAVY and no fun to move in and out of my garage. I picked up this cast iron skillet on the cheap thinking I could use it as a firepot. In the beginning of my quest to learn this trade I fell victim to youtube nonsense which resulted in melted frying pans. So my question is whether this thing will melt or not. I know its shallow, but I've heard of flat surface forges. I figure a few firebricks can hold up my work pieces once I find out how to make a table.

post-55409-0-04309000-1418584217_thumb.j

It'll work fine but looks to be pretty large for a beginner. For cast iron cookware fire pots I like small dutch ovens in the 6-8" dia range.

If you're going to use fire brick or clay to build up that pan don't bother to use the pan. A duck's nest forge works a treat. all you need is a reasonably non-flammable table, covered in an inch or more of rammed clay. The fire goes in a depression or crater shape with air from below, or a trench for a side blast. The duck's nest doesn't need to be very large or deep, you use fire bricks arranged around it to set the shape and depth of the fire.

I don't burn much solid fuel but both of my solid fuel forges are duck's nest.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...

Find a fuel that is available and build the forge to fit the fuel. 

You can stack bricks on a table, dig a hole in the ground, the forge is nothing more than a container to hold the fire. Side blast works best for simple. Just blow air into the fire horizontally through a pipe.

I wouldn't waste a good cast iron skillet like that one. Keep it in the kitchen or for camping. If you can't afford a cast fire pot take a picture to a self employed welder near you and ask if he has some scrap to fab one. 1/8 material will last long enough until funds are available to buy a cast one. Please don't ruin a good cast iron skillet.       Am I paranoid or what!!   This won't be your "forever forge."

Weeellll. I have a brake drum forge. But its set in concrete and is HEAVY. I'm thinking the smoke from bituminous will aggrivate neighbors. My problem with charcoal is that I have to cover it to avoid sparks. So sometimes I melt things. Rarely but annoying. I've got some anthracite being shipped. I want a nice table top forge that I can slide heaps of coal around on, and get out of my garage easily.

Try pine charcoal, and pile a bit more charcoal on top. Another thing to try is backing the air off a bit or difusing it more (bigger pipe, or more holes)I use a side blast and pine scraps, i have burnt up a peice of steel on ocasian but for the most part everything is good, and a minimum of fire fleas

• 3 weeks later...

As a cast iron cook it would be a shame in my eyes to waste a cast iron pan when there are so many other ways to build a cheap forge.

Also Cast iron cookware is not Teflon coated. It is seasoned with any number of cooking food grade oils which gives it it's non stick coating when seasoned correctly.

I use a brake drum forge and a 55 forge. Both easy to make and both cheap. A side blast in an old bbq grill also works for getting started.

• 1 month later...