I Forge Iron

How do you light your forge?

ausfire

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I make a bowl with the coal that bottoms right at the blower then turn the blower on low.  Next I put a weed torch in the middle of bowl for about 10 seconds and then turn off the torch.  Cover up the bowl with coke or coal and turn up the blower.  It is the quickest and most reliable way I have found to get the forge up and running even when wet.  It isn't the most traditional method but is easy and quick.  

At the end of every forging day, I pile green coal on top of my dying fire, this creates coke for the next time, Then when I'm ready to forge, I clean out the firepot, and toss some wood chips, shreds of card board and coke in, grab my hand held propane torch, I light the fire and toss more coke while letting a bit of air go into the tuyere.

• 2 weeks later...

I use all the shavings I have from my hand planes which is quite an endless supply a good handful packed tight. Lights up like an oil soaked rag and has a nice burn time throw a little of the old coke on top and I got a nice bed of coals by the time I'm all set up outside.