I Forge Iron

Non-hammer shoulder injury

Joel OF

Hi, are non-hammer shoulder pains common? I think I've had a trapped nerve in mine for a few months, I can rotate it up to a vertical position but I can't lift it up by my side, I can't even get it 90 degrees. I think it's just a ware and tear product of that arm getting into xxxxx positions when bending/twisting etc.

If you look at the design of your shoulder you will see there are MANY things that will cause you the problems you have plus some you've never considered. Strongly suggest you see a Good Ortho Doc. now before additional damage is done. Best thing I ever did but it took 2 operations to repair problems. No idea how your medical system works in England.

In the early 90s I injured my left shoulder crashing my mt bike.  It hurt for over two years.  The a friend that does massage therapy told me he thought he could help.  Apparently he knew his stuff, he applied a lot of pressure to a particular area for a few minutes and the pain was completely gone within a couple of days.  It never came back.

I also have disc problems in my neck and back.  When the neck problem acts up I feel it in my shoulder and sometimes down my arm.  Regular yoga exercises have helped greatly.  I can't even remember the last time my neck flared up.

I try to avoid pain meds as much as possible.  I have seen too many people ruin their lives with that stuff.  That said I will still use them to break the pain-inflamation cycle when things get really bad and then only for a day or so.

Would you ask your doctor the best metal to make a knife, or how to temper spring steel? 

Ask your doctor medical questions, ask blacksmiths blacksmithing questions.

We as blacksmiths can only get you make suggestions and point you  in the right direction, toward the doctor..

As the local physiotherapist/blacksmith I'd agree with swedefiddle and turbo7.  If you were local I'd say let me take a look at it, and that would involve me running your shoulder through 12+/- tests in addition to poking on the tender points and checking range of motion and strength.  I'd also look at your shoulder blade and postural habits.  Talk to your local physio....

A NON hammer related shoulder injury? Wassa matter YOU! What kind of blacksmith injures his shoulder without using a hammer. if you discover what injured your shoulder use a hammer on it next time!

Dangit Joel, were blacksmiths NOT doctors!

Frosty The Lucky.

I often have similar issues with my legs that are a result of a back injury. Also I know my chiropractor has me do tests that often show limited strength in my arm and shoulder that are related to this injury as well. Having him work certain areas of my back and neck as well as do adjustments can cause noticeable improvements in what motions I can do and how much strength I have in my arm.

LOL I wasn't asking for a diagnosis! I was just wondering if it was a common injury.

Yikes, I've just noticed that a word I used in my OP was XXX'd out. In Britain that word just means unusual/weird, never imagined that word would have caused any upset across the pond. Apologies.

Joel - I've got over 20 years of PT with 12+ specializing in orthopedics and shoulders are one of my favorite body parts to work on.  Injuries are hopefully getting less common.  How many years have you been smithing without pain?  That old adage:"no pain no gain" is a bunch of hogwash.  Pain is your body's way of telling you you're doing something wrong.  If you can't figure out the problem yourself, talk to your local expert on muscles, joints and biomechanics and have them watch what you do, especially what movements/positions cause pain.  One of the first things my buddy says when someone first enters his shop is a phrase I've adopted:  "Remember, pain is optional here. Hurting yourself is NOT a requirement for Blacksmithing!"

PS - Don't forget that Ice is a great way to reduce acute inflammation.

Petere76 shows Glens point quite well:  I had a range of motion problem; surgeon said the rotator cuff was in great condition it was the hulking bone spur that was causing the problem.  Doing a lot of motion I was not used to was what set it off; 20 years of smithing no problem a day or two of scything my 1 acre "rough" yard had me heading to the Dr, then the imaging folks, then the surgeon and then some down time.  

(I aslo like it when folks suggest working through RSI injuries---which is basically suggesting that if your thumb hurts from hitting it with a hammer you should keep hitting it with a hammer until it stops hurting...)