I Forge Iron

anvil position

waianvil,
I don't know the answer to your question, but let me guess just for fun. I think a lot of blacksmith's are very particilar about this. I believe you put the horn to your left so that you can hold a steel bar in your left hand and (1) lay it across the horn (on your left) for drawing it out, or (2) lay it across a hardy tool (on your right).

Don't hammer like me, I just walk around the anvil.

I'm right handed and last time I checked I had 2 anvils with the horn on the right, 2 with the horn on the left and one that pointed straight toward me.

Why should there be *1* position; you should use what works best for what you are working on! Shoot I;ve turned anvils on the sides or even upside down when it could provide a shape I needed to work against.

I will say this: if you are right handed and the anvil horn is to the left with the hardy hole to the right--- keep the hardy out of the hardy hole when not in use! You don't want to be hammering away and catching your hand or arm on the hardy accidently. Reverse for lefties and just take care if, like me, your anvil has a hardy hole at both ends...

I'm right handed and mine usually points to my left though I point it wherever I find it easier to get what I want.

One thing I do with my students is get them used to working the anvil from any direction. It follows from having them standing across from me when I demo something and just handing them the hammer without moving. They lose the notion of right or wrong direction no later than mid second session.

It's a form follows function issue. Do what works best for you.

Frosty

I am right handed and my horn points right, but that is just the way it is when I turn from the forge to anvil, you will work on all sides of it depending on what the project needs.
Basically position it which ever is most comfortable for you, your the one that is working at it.
Good luck

welder19

I have a double horned anvil, so it points both ways. I never remember what way the rounded horn is "supposed" to go, so I just use it as needed. I wouldn't mind finding a nice steel block anvil at some point for heavier work, but I'd be lost at which way to point it. :confused:

Right handed with horn to the right. I found early on(horn to the left)as I was making s hooks across the horn that they would get a twist and I would have to flatten them on the face. With the horn to the right the taper on the horn works for me. It also keeps the hardy hole by my tong hand.