I Forge Iron

Getting Started

I am going to get into blacksmithing and I want some suggestions on what kind of projects to start with.

Once you have the basics tools and heat source, do the basics:  drawing out, upsetting, punching, splitting, twisting, hammer control, forge steel from round to square, and square to round.  Then read, and read more.  Go to blacksmithing demos.  Join your local chapter of ABANA if there is one near you.  Find a local smith to give you some lessons.  Go to a blacksmithing school.   This list can go on and on.  Most of us who dabble in this craft feel that there is always more to learn and try, no matter how long you have been involved.

Read as many posts on this forum as you can.  Ask informed questions.  And be safe and have fun.

what materials and tools do you have

what things do you need or want

what skills do you have

I have A LOT of scrap iron around, I want to make things like decorative weapon pieces and usable pieces, I have 0 experience in the craft but want to do it as a hobby for my lifetime and when the time comes, pass my knowledge on to others(possibly my children).

I am going to get into blacksmithing and I want some suggestions on what kind of projects to start with.

Here's my top 5.

1.  Acquire a heat source, options include (but may not be limited to) Coal forge, Propane forge, induction forge.

2.  Acquire the necessary tools: something to hold the hot steel with, something to hit the hot steel with, and something flat to hit it on.  (Seeing as how you asked suggestions, depending on your means and commitment, at some point you may find that size, unfortunately for some of us, DOES matter, so buy as big as you can afford.) 

3. Using the techniques mentioned by njanvilman, learn to make a center punch, then round punches, square punches, butchers, fullers, chisels.

4. Using what you learned, learn to forge tongs so you can start expanding the size and shape of materials you can work with.

5. Learn how to do the next thing you want to do.

Start with a beginners 2-3 day course of instruction. Not sure where you are in NY but a couple places I know of are the NY Farmers Mus. in Cooperstown or Lake Champlain Maritime Mus. outside Vergennes Vermont. Familiar with these two MANY others as equal. A few days are worth every penny and every minute of your time.

I have A LOT of scrap iron around, I want to make things like decorative weapon pieces and usable pieces, I have 0 experience in the craft but want to do it as a hobby for my lifetime and when the time comes, pass my knowledge on to others(possibly my children).

I am curious.   With zero XP I am wondering how you have decided that this will be a lifetime hobby that you will pass down to future generations?  Don't take this as a challenge but rather just a simple question for added clarity. I am genuinely curious.

I am curious.   With zero XP I am wondering how you have decided that this will be a lifetime hobby that you will pass down to future generations?  Don't take this as a challenge but rather just a simple question for added clarity. I am genuinely curious.

I just plan on doing this for a long time. Taking just a piece of metal and turning it into something, it is a skill I wish to have and I want to use it for the rest of my life.

I would pick up a copy of the Backyard Blacksmith, by Lorelei Sims great book for beginners, I have used it a lot. Has projects for all skill level. If you can make it to Quadstate it would be a great experience. They have a beginners hands on open forge. Learned a lot from the event. 

http://sofablacksmiths.org/quadstate/quadstate2014.html