I Forge Iron

Quenching in old motor oil

Or EMT's!.  But Thanksgiving and Christmas are the big dates for folks trying to deep fry a turkey here in the USA;  often buying 5 gallons of oil and using it the 1 time!

Also  look out for the fryers---I used a regulator off one on my forge for many a year, paid US$3 for the fryer just for it's good propane regulator.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get my fryer oil from the local supermarket's deli, they change oil a couple times a week. I provide the clearly marked 5 gal. jug with labels and check back regularly so they're not tripping over it. 

My only gripe is it didn't come from the donut fryer so the shop smells like: fish, chicken and burritos. <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.

• 5 months later...

Mmmmm, I LOVE fish tacos! Tomorrow nights dinner is decided. Won't be deep fried but Mmmmmm!

Thanks, I have trouble deciding what to make for dinner but once I know I'm off and running. :)

Frosty The Lucky.

On 5/1/2021 at 3:56 PM, Frosty said:

No limit on how many fishy, chicken burritos you can eat?

Frosty The Lucky.

I’m not a huge fan of fish tacos and working next to a Chicken Express for several years kinda ruined me on the smell of fried chicken. If the shop started smelling like chicken fried steak, I’d either be constantly hungry or too fat to see the anvil. 

The flounder didn't make great tacos, they weren't bad but not worth trying again. Halibut makes excellent tacos and Tilapia makes good ones. 

Chicken fried steak, mash, sausage/bacon/pepper gravy and any, (non-canned) veggy. Mmmmmm.  Of course Chicken fried steak, hash browns, sausage/bacon/pepper gravy, eggs over easy and rye toast. Good any time of the day! You can wake me up out of a sound sleep and I'll eat that kind of breakfast happily.:)

Frosty The Lucky.

The fish tacos I have had were OK and a nice variation but on the whole I prefer beef or chicken.  Since they are "street food" just about anything is possible.  I've had some where I'm not sure I want to know the original species of filling.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

There's a guy from Michoacán that owns a restaurant across from one of the hotels I work at. He has Americanized food and real Mexican food like taquitos lingua, delicious. Good chicken too. He makes it in a big pot mm mm mm.

Pnut

I’ll take real Mexican food over Tex-Mex any day. I did a week long mission trip in Mexico many years ago (back before you had to have a passport) to this tiny village that was literally “dirt floor poor.” The local ladies fed us lunch everyday. I couldn’t tell you what it was we were eating (sometimes it’s best not to ask), but it sure tasted good. 

Dad and I used to go fishing in Mexico pretty often and the town of Loredo on the gulf side of Baja California was one of our favorites. It is or was mostly a fishing town, beef was available but fish was always on the table. The typical table had a number of serving dishes and you'd make your plate from them. Locals laid down a tortilla and covered a portion from the serving dishes, folded it in half or rolled it and ate.

You actually missed out on the true flavor of the food if you ate with knife and fork. The soups at the lodge were awesome, little mouth orgasms with the first taste or two. Mmmmm.

There's a real Mexican restaurant in Anchorage, they opened their first about 5 blocks from where I lived and I became a regular their first week. It's authentic Mexican food and they didn't know what a taco was. I don't believe they offer them now and it's been close to 50 years now. 

The food isn't spicy hot unless you ask for piquante and you can specify how much so. The corn chips are made from their tortillas and they bring 2 sauces, mild and HOT! It's just good solid top notch food. I haven't stopped in in years, since before moving to Wasilla. Next time I'm in the big city I'm thinking. 

Just special for you guys I think I'm going to have fish stick tacos tonight! Deb's out of town for a dog trials so why the heck not? 

Frosty The Lucky.

On 5/7/2021 at 4:24 PM, Frosty said:

since before moving to Wasilla.

It’s a small world. The pastor that married my parents lives in Wasilla. He was the pastor of the Baptist church there until he retired several years ago. I don’t suppose you happen to know a Fred Stroud do you?

Not as a pastor but Wasilla is a pretty small town, Deb and I have been here 22 years so we've probably crossed paths many times but the name doesn't ring a bell. On the other hand I have dents in my head and I'll remember him later so I can forget again. 

Does your brain play tricks just to drive you nuts? Mine does. :)

Frosty The Lucky.

13 hours ago, Leather Bill said:

Didn't the old man who gave you his anvil because it had excessive rebound have the same problem Frosty? :wacko:

I WISH my Soderfors had been a gift but previous users with dented foreheads wouldn't surprise me a bit.

I'll have to give some thought to a situation where I'd want to look straight down at the impact point when I swung a hammer. I'll have to get back though.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 years later...
On 11/11/2017 at 7:31 AM, Will W. said:

I get that you use what you have, im all for that. But why didnt they just use water?!?! Its literally the most cost free thing on this planet and is far less.... disgusting. 

Because using water would crystallize the metal and would make it fragile.. Not a good idea. But I have made some where around 50 or 60 blades and used engine oil will work just fine if you don't mind having to polish it. A lot!!

38 minutes ago, jaybud said:

used engine oil will work just fine

This is true, however used engine oil has a lot of contaminants in it which can be hazardous to ones health when breathing the fumes from quenching. We stress safety and that is one reason so many of us have advised not to use it and for me I stopped many years ago.

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sail’s.
Semper Paratus

Welcome aboard jaybud, glad to have you. If you put your general location in the header you'll have a much better chance of meeting up with members living within visiting distance.

IN addition to the engine wear nasties in used motor oil, you need to take into account what is in brand new motor oil besides mineral oil. Most makers won't list the actual ingredients for being proprietary. It's probably been more than 50 years since you could buy a non-detergent additive free motor oil in this country. (This country assumes you're in the USA)

Frosty The Lucky.