I Forge Iron

What is Plastika?

Google didn't help on that one did it Greg? I tried a couple different spellings and got everything from major injection molding companies, recycling companies, nekkid ladies, and more, from all over the world.

I'll be watching the thread and if nobody speaks up I expect your report after the class.

Frosty The Lucky.

I did some more research and found this.  As to Plastika- It's basically the manipulation of metal like clay. Using the tools like you would use your hands, thumbs and fingers to shape the piece.  This doesn't help me very much.  I will find out more after the class.  

I got an email from the forge with a similar subject and the exact same blurb, so I wont bother repeating it then :P

glad to see you are able to make the workshop Dave, I cant get down there this weekend :( please take lots of photos!

I did some more research and found this.  As to Plastika- It's basically the manipulation of metal like clay. Using the tools like you would use your hands, thumbs and fingers to shape the piece.  This doesn't help me very much.  I will find out more after the class.  

That makes more sense, iron and steel are plastic "the adjective" so "Plastika" is an adverb describing a technique or school of thought on forging. Of course I could be way off base but I sound plausible don't I? B)

Frosty The Lucky.

Here are some of the things I learned today about Plastika.  You hit the metal hard so that it moves the inside of the piece outward.  It is difficult to tell the shape of the original piece of metal from the finished product.  Think of using your pointed finger to push into the metal or your thumb to push the metal along.  This is very simple interpretation of Plastika and more will come in the next few days as I learn more.  Pictures also.   It a design tool.  

As described above, Plastika is a design tool.  The class with Tim Cesneros demonstrating included plastika along with other projects over three days.  I've included an example of plastika that Tim presented.  Part of the three days were dedicated to making the tools you would need. It started with using plasticine clay to come up with your design and then making the tools needed to duplicate it in steel.  It was a great class and Tim is a great instructor.  He brought his famous "rocking chair" and I was able to sit in it.  It truly is a masterful piece of work.

post-7487-0-03839200-1403714420_thumb.jp

post-7487-0-48454000-1403714528_thumb.jp