I Forge Iron

World's first hybrid striker!

At least, I think it is.  I had a guy approach me about making him a bottle opener because he collects bottle openers.  Never heard of such a thing, but I'm all about supporting folks in their passion.

The problem was that I wanted to make something for his collection that really stood out.  He likes traditional camping and old-school stuff, so I was looking for an idea that might incorporate all of that.

Then I got into my history and survival training from years past.  It's amazing how my brains works.  Sometimes it's scary.

What are the keys to survival?  Shelter, Water, Fire..... right?  You can only go a few days without dying of dehydration.... and beer is sterilized water.  Millions of people are alive today only because their ancestors had access to fermented goodness.

But what good is beer if you freeze to death?  Yea, being trapped in a frozen wasteland is great for keeping your beer cold, but if you die before you can drink it.... that's just wasted beer.

Wasted beer is a bad thing.

The result, a flint-striker that pulls double-duty as a bottle opener.  Or it might be a bottle opener that's also a flint-striker.

Either way, the prototype is finished and function tested.  She throws sparks with the best of them and opens bottles like a boss!

IMG_0972_zpsef4cf0e9.jpg

I was going for something that closely-resembled a traditional striker like I first learned on.  The larger loop has a few cracks in it because she decided to show me her diving skills and did a perfect pirouette off of the horn, right into the quench bucket.  We had words about such behavior!!

I've never seen anything that combines both skillsets and I plan on building on this theme.  

Hey... as long as it does the job(s) it was meant to do. I prefer function over form. Now, don't get me wrong, I do appreciate a good looking form... :D

BTW... what did it start as... file, spring... virgin steel?

That's genuine golf cart leaf spring.  My dad gave me a whole assembly and, well.....

I like it, good idea!

I'll look forward to seeing your interpretation, Nick.  I'm betting you come up with something pattern-welded and silver-inlaid by the end of the week!

Vaughn;
After reading my last post, didn't come out right...didn't mean to sound like a smart aleck. I was being somewhat serious about expounding it some. maybe adding some sort of short blade or serration.
Anyway, I apologize if you took offense, none intended.

I like it Vaughn, I'm a fan of multi taskers. Perhaps a P38 can opener like thing, maybe a awl like poker thing or tooth pick. Lots of potential additions for sure.

Don't worry Mitch, I've been tossing guff at Vaughn for a while now and if this well practiced, long time smart alec hasn't ticked him off you're so far inside the envelope you probably don't even know there is an envelope.

Frosty The Lucky.

No worries on my end, Mitch.  I'm on cloud nine because I invented something completely unheard of in the world!  

I just thought today that she's also make a great zipper pull for the parka.  It's really easy to grab with hands that are all bundled up against the cold.  That makes it a triple-duty invention: bottle opener, flint striker and pull tab enhancer - an all-around survival tool.

The next one is going to have a pointy end so I can call it a glass breaker or skull crusher.  Not only will you be able to stay hydrated in an arctic warfare scenario, but you'll also be able to infiltrate locked windows to secure more beer and kill any fools that try to steel your beer.  If there's ever an apocalyptic event, I'm covered!  :D

Now you're thinking Mitch. Are brass knuckles legal in your neighborhood? I can load up every available concealed spot on my body with a fire arm, no problem but get caught carrying brass knuckles?

Vaughn: A window breaker is something everybody should have in their vehicle. You may have to GET OUT and the doors may be jammed. Or you may come on an accident scene and get somebody OUT of their vehicle or watch them die. Each of our vehicles have a seat belt slicer, window breaker, flashlight. The only things missing are a bottle opener and flint striker.

Frosty The Lucky.

The only things missing are a bottle opener and flint striker.

Frosty The Lucky.

All true, Frosty.  One can never be too prepared, and it's usually the oddest thing that catches us out.

If you ever find that you want to add an opener and striker to the kit, I know a guy that knows a guy and could probably get you in the club.  I hear he works cheap, too!  ;)

Now you're thinking Mitch. Are brass knuckles legal in your neighborhood? I can load up every available concealed spot on my body with a fire arm, no problem but get caught carrying brass knuckles?

Vaughn: A window breaker is something everybody should have in their vehicle. You may have to GET OUT and the doors may be jammed. Or you may come on an accident scene and get somebody OUT of their vehicle or watch them die. Each of our vehicles have a seat belt slicer, window breaker, flashlight. The only things missing are a bottle opener and flint striker.

Frosty The Lucky.

I've never owned a single set of brass knuckles.

I have owned dozens of brass knuckle shaped paper weights however.

Ding....light bulb came on.
How about a striker/opener thats a belt buckle! That way you always have it!
You can also always carry some char cloth in a small tube on your key chain... just not sure how to carru the flint...? Maybe on dog tag chain around the neck. Might be very marketable once figured out?
Just some out loud thinking...:)

Frosty, I think you can only have the novelty "paper weights" Gromgor spoke of.....can't carry. Same way as with auto knives....have a whole bunch, including an early Charles Ochs Black auto, just cant carry them anymore.

While searching for idea on the Googler for different types of fire strikers, I found this hybrid striker-

I like the idea, of adding a pin to something like Vaughn made...

(Credit to whoever owns this pic, I just browsed images without checking the websites)

post-22216-0-97312800-1402421762_thumb.j

I've never owned a single set of brass knuckles.

I have owned dozens of brass knuckle shaped paper weights however.

You probably don't watch the discovery program "Alaska State Troopers" but they busted more than one fellow selling such paper weights just a couple miles up the highway from us. Some actually looked more like paper weights than knuckle busters. (that's a term I heard Ausies using and have always liked it.) In Alaska, getting in a fist fight with anything in your hand is a serious misdemeanor or felony. A roll of nickles can put you in jail for months to years depending on damage.

Frosty The Lucky.

I commend whoever made that striker brooch-like pin whether they invented it or not.

Last weekend Sean was over and made a Thor's hammer necklace / striker. Last I saw it it wanted a little filing and a heat treatment but it looked pretty good.

Now I'm thinking a Thor's hammer, brooch striker. Hmmmm?

Frosty The Lucky.

Brooch/striker combos were known in the Middle Ages, perhaps earlier.  I think some were dug up from medieval Novgorod.  They would have hinged tweezers, too, where the pin was one handle:

post-417-0-67844800-1402423596_thumb.jpg

(image via eBay,

I also found this comment, and was wondering about your thoughts on it-

"If you quench them in water they can have stress cracks in them.  Quenching them in oil means they will have a duller red spark but this spark last much longer and catches in the char cloth better thus igniting it with the first strike. First the striking surface is white (no fire scale) showing that it was at " Critical Temperature" when it was quenched in the oil.  (The fire scale popped off) Then the handle was tempered to a deep blue so it won't be as brittle."

Is this the best way to quench a striker?

How do you temper the handle to a deep blue?