I Forge Iron

Lighting issue

My workspace is the corner of a huge corrigated steel barn a fabrictor owns. The roof in my corner is sloping and somewhere around 12 feet high. There's clear corrigated roof windows about 3x5 feet big interspersed across the width of the building, and also tungsten strip lights. The nearest window and light are about 6 feet distance from my anvil. The lighting is a nightmare as it's so changeable, all it takes is a cloud and the light completely changes, and of course the ambient light changes throughout the day. The real problem is with fine work where I need to see every detail e.g tapering small stock, it ends up being the case that I can only see every detail once the metal's down to cherry red.

As it's not my barn it's not really my place to go covering up windows or removing lights - especially as we have a very relaxed arrangement that is a dream come true for me at this early stage of my career and I don't want to rock the boat.

I'm thinking that the best solution is probably to fight fire with fire and get an LED spotlight I can switch on when the ambient light is bad and I'm struggling to see fine details. They're pretty cheap and inexpensive to run, but I thought I might aswell as the gods of IFI for their 2 cents/pennies worth before I go throwing money at something that might have a simpler solution? Any ideas spring to mind?

Cheers in advance

You covered the ones I was thinking of. My 1st thought was to reduce the light with some sort of tarp or covering. 2nd was an additional light source. Down side I see to other lights is for me that often can make things a bit harder to see, especially the color of the metal. I prefer it darker than lighter given a choice. 2nd thing is to me LED lights just don't seem to "work" well. I'm betting it has to do with the color of the light. I know my buddies new LED dive light is rated at the same candella as my HID one is, but to me his just seams to be only 1.2 as bright. Personally I'd opt for a halogen flood light vs an LED one.

Why not put two spot flood lights, from above and 45 degrees to either side, aimed at the anvil? Good light, full coverage. 

A dark area near the forge will let you see color. The forge should only be a step or so away.

Or use an interrupt switch to kill the lights, just step on it when you want the lights out.  If you are worried about hot metal or slag, a simple  momentary pause switch mounted on the side of the anvil base that can be activated with your knee.  You already use one as the power hammer foot switch to activate the power hammer, this switch would deactivate the lights.

If you do not like the lower position of the switch, then put a pull chain switch ABOVE the anvil. Pull for off, pull again for on. 

If you need more light, add light. If you want dark then turn the lights out.

If you do not build a box, then you do not have to think outside the box.

When you get led lights it makes the world of difference in the color of the light ie. Warm white vs. Cool white. Each have their place so experiment using a lead light in the area that you wish to use it in first and swap out warm and cool white energy savers to get the effect of the light in your environment.

I LOVE LEDs, the white is WHITE and they don't put out heat so you can have it right next to your hand if necessary. I have a number of lights, spots, floods and a couple halogen work lights on stands and move them all over as needed.

Frosty The Lucky.

I have been using led lighting for quite sometime in flood, spot and overhead lighting All in White Lighting  for the past 4 + years . I made my overhead lights out of strip LED lights , 1x1 strips of wood ,Thinsulate Insulation Board, and Aluminum (HAVC) Tape To reflect the light better and brighter . ( they are very light weight to hang )  LED's do not give off any heat and cost very little to run as to any standard bulbs or other lighting types . they are just Now catching on the main stream consumer industry.

Best Regards

Ho humm, the perils of choosing a great spot in a workshop during the winter, then seeing the light completely change within a few months and the place become almost unusable.

Got a cool white 20W LED on wednesday, thought that was the problem solved for the detail issues I encounter in the mid afternoon light, then friday we had probably the sunniest day of the year so far and I couldn't see any colour whatsoever all day.

So now I'm in the process of fabricating a sliding shutter to block out the light as the workshop owner doesn't want anything permenant up blocking out light. Very much looking forward to the day when I have my own workshop!

I want to keep floor space free, plus he has an exciteable dog that charges around the workshop and would no doubt bash into it all the time. I know, I know. Not my workshop, not my rules.

Just a bit frustrating as it's bad timing and I can't really afford the time or money, though as we get nearer summer I can't afford not to do something about it.

Lesson learned.

LOL! Unfortunately it's not a metal roof + it has to be something that he can open in an instant as he has a powerful saw down my end which he sometimes uses and in his words "I don't want to lose any bits dear to me in the gloom". Fair enough!
I'm sure I'll get it sorted, just a pain in the proverbial that I can really do without!
As you were Jones :-)

LOL! Unfortunately it's not a metal roof + it has to be something that he can open in an instant as he has a powerful saw down my end which he sometimes uses and in his words "I don't want to lose any bits dear to me in the gloom". Fair enough!
I'm sure I'll get it sorted, just a pain in the proverbial that I can really do without!
As you were Jones :-)

Buy him a light to stick on it.