I Forge Iron

1020 hi-tensile steel

Greetings gentleman

The bicycle industry is loaded of fancy names, even for very trivial bicycle components or manufacturing methods. And this seems to be a very good commercial strategy because people are willing to pay more for fancy names. One of these names is "1020 hi-tensile steel"... I do not know much about steel, but this sounds like ordinary mild steel used in structural fabrication. Am I wrong or is there something else in the manufacture of this steel that adds the "hi-tensile" bit?

Thanks

For several decades, we've seen the systematic "dunbing down" of America, ... by the Teachers Unions, and their Lap-Dog Political Allies.

It's a lot easier to unload sub-standard products on poorly informed consumers, if you use a few meaningless buzz-words.

The Advertising Industry relies on this increasingly ill-informed populace, ... that can be easily manipulated with mumbo-jumbo.

Stupid is, ... as Stupid does.

Smells like politics to me SB... We are not supposed to get into that here.

So, ... you think you can sucessfully seperate one facet of life from another, ... and still make thoughtful, intelligent observations.

Good Luck with that.  :P

Actually you can have high strength low carbon  and seeing as steel's main strength is tensile that's what it's called. Mechanical tubing or other shapes are made to spec on all counts starting with analysis. Mechanical tubing is usually DOM (Drawn Over Mandrel) and ground to finished dimension. Being seamless and a very uniform shape makes it stronger, often lots stronger.

That a bicycle company uses mechanical tubing is to be expected, the frames must meet strength requirements or They'd spend money and time in court than the added expense of using high strength components. Weight is the other consideration, mechanical tubing is considerably stronger per lb. so using black pipe strong enough to keep them out of court would probably double the bicycle's weight.

The marketing folk had one thing right, calling it DOM mechanical tubing would mean zippo, absolutely nothing to the buying public. Think about it, many if not most of you guys work with steel frequently if not profesionally, at least some of you do fabrication where the use of mechanical shapes would happen at least occasionally.

And after all the time this thread has been going I'm the one to explain what's going on?! ME?! The brain damaged guy who hasn't held a valid cert in a good 20 years?

Go back and reread the posts in this thread so far. How many are talking about fraudulent claims and conspiracies? Of anybody WE should be at least conversant about steel products and for all the crap we give kids for asking questions or posting opinions without any research, we should be embarrassed.

Okay, that's enough beating up on my friends, not that it wasn't at least a little fun. <evil grin> Take a look at using terms that are not only outside the normal vernacular but terms that don't have simple definitions. Just think how many conspiracy theories would crop up. We'd quickly be awash in theories from the UFOlogy crowd, I'm SURE it's outer space aliens who taught us dumber than stumps earth humans to make DOM Mechanical tubing! It's the stuff the brought to earth to make the mechanical replicants they've replaced the  world leaders since before the Roswell crash!

Oh MY we're in for it now! Ooh ooh, where's my aluminum foil cap! <snicker>

Frosty The Lucky.