I Forge Iron

First full 3D printed handle

TheoRockNazz

Wrought Iron and 15n20 san mai with a 3D printed high density ABS plastic handle. 

I was a bit weary about the plastic (customer couldn't afford cast bronze or brass), but it's quite resilient... ask anyone that's stepped on a Lego.

Only flaw is it's TOO white; every speck of dirt on your hands is drawn to it like a magnet. I combated this somewhat with several layers of aerosol lacquer. The plastic weighs nothing even though it's solid and the tang runs all the way through the handle.

This project was a metric snotload of fun. It's based off my favorite monster, from my favorite video game... so sad it belongs to the customer. Maybe I'll reforge the blade and print the handle in bronze for myself, hehe

post-25471-0-30667900-1401496551_thumb.j

post-25471-0-17554800-1401496566_thumb.j

post-25471-0-83836700-1401496579_thumb.j

post-25471-0-82837000-1401496592_thumb.j

post-25471-0-18069600-1401496607_thumb.j

post-25471-0-40259800-1401496619_thumb.j

post-25471-0-86642300-1401496632_thumb.j

post-25471-0-11500000-1401496646_thumb.j

post-25471-0-93042300-1401496658_thumb.j

Theo, I can understand that metal has the plastic beat where durability and appearance is concerned, but IMO the metal is less comfortable in the hand. It would also need to be accounted for in the balance wouldn't it? Looking at your pictures again however, I can see your point. The guard and pommel would definitely have been better served had they been fabricated in metal. What about a combination? With the plastic, you even have the possibility of adding scrimshaw. I really don't know what the consistency of that plastic feels like. I know you described it as lego-like, so I am still intrigued by the possibilities.

Anyway, I really like this knife a lot, and I'm certain the client will be very pleased.  Robert

The jury's out on this one for me. The white is too low aspect and contrast, I can't see any detail to speak of. The videoworm works for me or would if I could see it well enough. A different color at least would be good.

All in all I like the idea of 3D printing/rapid prototyping/etc. A knife handle might work better with a laser carving. A 3D printed sheath on the other hand would be as cool as a person wanted it to be.

As a whole I like the execution and profile. I give it a well done.

Frosty The Lucky.

All that handle needs is a black wash.  You just thin some waterbased paint, and brush it lightly over the work.  It will gather more in the recesses and give a nice contrast.  This little space dude has been blackwashed.  Before the process he looked alot like your knife handle.  Knife looks great by the way.  I wouldnt be surprised if that is the forst 3D printed knife handle ever.

post-53448-0-46849800-1401628677_thumb.j

So many great ideas. I already lacquered it, so I don't know how well the blackwash will work, though I really like the idea. 

I rather like the combination Idea - cast brass/bronze guard/pommel with handle in 3D printed black plastic... never printing in white again unless it's getting blackwashed and lacquered straight outta the printer.

I have tried so many times to get customers to buy 3D printed sheaths, think of the possibilities!... but no such luck.

Some more cool projects using 3D printed casted components planned for the coming months.

All that handle needs is a black wash.  You just thin some waterbased paint, and brush it lightly over the work.  It will gather more in the recesses and give a nice contrast.  This little space dude has been blackwashed.  Before the process he looked alot like your knife handle.  Knife looks great by the way.  I wouldnt be surprised if that is the forst 3D printed knife handle ever.

Does that paint dry to a water proof finish? A well used and appreciated knife gets wet from time to time...