I Forge Iron

1,000 weight niles bement pond hammer

I am just taking possession of this functioning 1,000 weight hammer.

I have the top portion now and the sow block and dies. Anvil and frame coming soon.

It was converted to air years ago and the owner was looking to get it to a good home.

Photos of what I have and how it looked prior to taking it apart for transport.

I have a video of it running several months ago and will upload that to my youtube site soon.

More later,

Ric

post-1824-0-08958500-1401239084_thumb.jp

post-1824-0-76341400-1401239101_thumb.jp

post-1824-0-03173300-1401239206_thumb.jp

post-1824-0-98019400-1401239322_thumb.jp

NICE ! I want one LOL :wub:

if I many ask how much air dose it take to run a PH like that ? thinking of re-working a Lg mine compressor I have so I have all the air and then some !!!!!!!!!  or selling it   if I had a few air PHs shop compressor mite be to small ??? something I kick around every so often

Greetings Ric,

That is a fantastic looking piece of equipment... I will be watching the waves in Lake Michigan for I am sure you will be adding to them..  Have fun I sure would...

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

That should be able to flatten a coke can (cold without needing to stick it in the forge) :D . Nice looking bit of kit!

Might I add that you are looking very well too, life seems to be treating you well(deservedly so) my friend, love to the family.

Ian

All things being equal I would rather have a 300-400 ton friction screw press for the work I'm likely to be making in the near future.

This hammer was reworked for air by its last owner who lovingly cared for her the past 15 years. He ran it off a 125cfm gas trailer compressor and then into a large storage tank..then to the tank seen in the photo which is set near the hammer.

Given that my shop is green and purple and this hammer is green I am thinking something in the nature of "The Hulk" Thomas, but battering ram is more appropriate.

Ian I am doing well thank you. I have also been working with more smiths this year both in classes I host and co-operative work. It seems that my ideas of sole authorship have been holding me back and I will be consciously changing that mind set to incorporate more outside ideas and hands.

Patrick,

I am not sure when I'll have it up. My wife thinks I should sell it on and focus on tooling specific to my current work. I can not say it is a poor argument...she may be correct.

Ric

Need is just a matter of perspective. 

I do like the idea of the long stroke that comes with a steam hammer, but I have a 500 lb Bradley to install before I invest in any more equipment. I really want to weigh the ram in that machine because, based on comparison with the 300lb Bradley, this one is probably pushing 600# or more. That's a lot of machine and I will probably be able run it faster than Ric's Niles. I expect to set it up to run in the 200-220 bpm range for fast drawing. Unless my work changes drastically I don't think I'll need more hammer capacity after that one's running.

I am surprised they shipped it with the ram on? If that piston gets bent your in a heap of dodo...

All you need is a big hole and little bit of crete, you can do it!

Thats what I figure BPM for my 800 at, maybe a bit faster @ 100 psi  :blink:  Hope you wear some clean undies when you crank that Bradley up to 200 BPM Patrick! Be sure to have the camera on you front side :lol: