I Forge Iron

Abused anvil

more than just an upsetting block "ausfire", that has a good face, step, and hardy and pritchel holes, use it as an anvil! never have too many anvils, or hardened work surfaces. when you say "home" and "in a junk pile" i assume you are talking about "museum grounds?" ;)

Yes, in amongst our old stuff in the museum grounds up the hill from you on the Tablelands. I'm assuming if you're in the shadow of the Pyramid you're in Gordonvale or thereabouts.
And your post has reminded me that the old hornless anvil is still there. I will definitely rescue it and set it up for use.

Okay, we won't start calling you Mick. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty, now that infers some sort of elitism and could possibly even be racist( :D ) and its not OK to say something like that especially to an Aussie( because he might not even understand it) :P

BTW, we love ribbing the other ex. colonials south of the equator sadly they seem to like evening the score with rugby! and despite the chirps I love you guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Frosty, now that infers some sort of elitism and could possibly even be racist( :D ) and its not OK to say something like that especially to an Aussie( because he might not even understand it) :P

BTW, we love ribbing the other ex. colonials south of the equator sadly they seem to like evening the score with rugby! and despite the chirps I love you guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well I assumed Frosty was referring to Mick of Crocodile Dundee fame. I can live with being compared to Paul Hogan, even if I don't have bullets round my hat or hypnotise buffaloes.
And Ian ... you didn't mention the cricket! I know why.

yeah mate, i'm in g'vale, i get up to visit HJP when i can, but i can't get the time lately what with working ( :rolleyes: ) the cane season.
im working on getting this baby going eventually https://www.flickr.com/photos/41924895@N07/sets/72157628439741909/with/6519812231/

I admire your commitment, mate. That is one big mother of a steam hammer. There were some treasures in those old sugar mills. I hear from some old-time employees that they had some giant anvils and often wonder what became of them.
I'll call in you one day if that's OK, when the cane season's over. And you're welcome at my forge any time - you know the place. You've probably seen me mutilating a bit of steel on the TV ads.

babindas blacksmith workshop got scrapped, i had a big cry about that, (the anvils were stolen beforehand, i saw where they used to be) and mulgrave decided that after the last smith died, they would no longer need smiths. what used to be the smithy is now a smoko room.

too many sad stories out there,

i heard a lot of sad stories whilst looking for a boiler to run my hammer too. tractions and stationaries cut up and scrapped. same old tales of woe.

i have no shop here, hans is looking after a lot of my stuff, in return for gleaning valuable knowledge from me  :rolleyes:

Sorry if we are getting a bit off topic here, but yes, I know what you mean about the old portables and stationaries. I've spent a lot of time in the bush out Mount Isa way visiting kids on station properties. A lot of old steam stuff was pushed into holes and covered over - just part of a wheel or the stack exposed. Crying shame. Goodness knows how many anvils went the same way. (Or were sent away for scrap for the war effort).
You sound like you have an affinity for steam. We have a nice old Ruston Proctor 10 h.p.twin-cylinder steam portable plugging away at our place today. 10tonnes of history in perfect working order. You would like it. Here's a pic. We have cleaned up the brasswork since then.
post-50874-0-69524300-1407632733_thumb.j

well, let us go out and dig up some traction engines!!!

out there, the castings would be fine, and most old engines need a boiler rebuild anyway, so lets get going..... i will bring a shovel....

to bring this comment back onto thread..... we can look for anvils too... ;)

• 1 month later...

OK, so here's an update on the original post. I finally got round to dragging this hornless anvil from the junk pile and, with a bit of effort got it up onto a stump in the workshop. I hadn't taken much notice of it before, but the table is in quite good shape, as are the hardy and pritchel holes.
It will be quite useful there.
I gave it a bit of a wire brushing and discovered beneath the grime the words
WALLDAY & SON
BIRMINGHAM
WARRANTED

There were also some weight figures: 2 0 24 It felt all of its 248lb even without the horn!
Here's a picture after I cleaned it up a bit, and one of the lettering. Anyone know anything about the company, date?
post-50874-0-58804900-1411378811_thumb.j
post-50874-0-76945200-1411378750_thumb.j

Oh, brother! Bicker because of a busted bick? Bother!

Now this sort of silliness can only result in people tossing around quotes from movies like "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum".

Philia: That's the brute who raped my country, Thrace!

Pseudolus: He raped Thrace?

Philia: And then he came and did it again! And then again!

Pseudolus: He raped Thrace thrice?